Rejuvenate life with a new perspective

In light of recent shootings and hazing incidents at universities across the nation, it seems that faith in the human species has been dwindling. We dwell on these major events that damper our dispositions, while failing to acknowledge the miniscule details we take for granted in our everyday lives.

Humans are a good and progressive race. Our evolution from cavemen sans civilizations to technologically savvy cosmopolitans is a miracle in and of itself. We are more connected than ever before as globalization continues to defeat the barriers of time and space. Our abilities and opportunities are infinite. Material goods are not the only things that can enable us to lead positive lifestyles.

Every morning when I wake up, I glance out my window that overlooks Cobb Fountain sprinkling over Lake Osceola. I smile at the fact that I have the opportunity to receive my education in 75-degree sunshine with a light breeze. This of course is my go-to reminder whenever I find myself down. I just remember, “I live in beautiful Miami.”

As a member of UM’s Band of the Hour and a pledge of Zeta Tau Alpha, I am proud of the fact that our university is not subjected to these hazing incidents.

Throughout the day, I try to smile as much as possible, crack a couple of jokes and recognize little things that I enjoy. I’ve found that living like this helps me have great days and sometimes even brighten others’ days.

I challenge you to look around and find one thing every day that makes you smile. Remember these things when our nation’s heart is broken by shootings. Remind others of these things when they’ve hit rock bottom. When you’re feeling down and out, find the silver lining and add them to this list.

Don’t just look on the bright side. Live on the bright side.

Jordan Coyne is a freshman majoring in journalism and international studies.

Jordan Coyne

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...