Basketball, Sports

Miami beats FSU in second straight sellout

Junior guard Rion Browngets a slam dunk in Sunday's game aganst FSU. Zach Beeker // Staff Photographer

Junior guard Rion Brown gets a slam dunk in Sunday’s game aganst FSU. Zach Beeker // Staff Photographer

After a dominant performance against the No. 1 ranked Duke Blue Devils on Wednesday night, the Canes were able to pick up right where they left off on Sunday in front of yet another sold-out crowd in the BankUnited Center en route to a 71-47 victory over the visiting Florida State Seminoles. With the win Miami moves to 6-0 in the ACC and 15-3 overall while remaining unbeaten at home in the regular season.
An unexperienced Florida State team was hopelessly overmatched at times against the Hurricanes who led for the entirety of the game and even put on a show at times with breathtaking alley-oops, emphatic blocks and exciting fast breaks.

“I think that’s the key,” said senior guard Trey McKinney Jones who led all players in scoring with 15. “I mean, we’re out there playing hard and I think like you said most importantly we’re having fun and if we come out and play together and have fun every game, we’re going to be a tough team to beat.”

Miami jumped out to a quick 6-0 lead after senior centers Kenny Kadji and Julian Gamble both completed three point plays. The team was in control for most of the first half until the Seminoles were able to close the gap to two points with 3:17 left in the half.

“We called a timeout,” Canes head coach Jim Larranaga said. “We put in Erik Swoope and we were able to pick up our defensive intensity, we trapped a ball screen, forced a turnover and we were able to push the lead back up to nine, and I thought that was a very good sign for us.”

The Canes continued a strong defensive showing in the second half, only giving up five points in the first eight minutes while riding a balanced offensive attack to a 21-point lead. In the end Miami’s experience, with four of the five starters being seniors, trumped any potential for a letdown game four days after the emotional Duke win.

“I feel like we’re a veteran team,” McKinney Jones said. “We got a lot of guys who are experienced and we’re not going to let ourselves do that.”

The game also marked the return of former Hurricane coach, and now Seminole head coach, Leonard Hamilton who was impressed with Miami’s strong play.

“This is a top team in America,” he said. “They’re playing as hard as any team in America.”
But while the Hurricanes were able to add to the best start in program history, coach Larranaga continues his patented approach of taking it one game at a time.

“You know, the expression is: The past is history. The future is a mystery. But they call it ‘present,’ because it’s a gift,” he said. “And we want to stay in the present and stay focused on this gift we’ve been given, which is an opportunity to play basketball together and hopefully continue to play very hard and very well.”

Next up for the Canes is a road trip to Blacksburg, Va., to face Virginia Tech 9 p.m. Wednesday.

Patrick Riley

Contributing Sports Writer

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...