Staff Editorial 1/28: Don’t just follow the leader

According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a professor is “a faculty member of the highest rank at an institution of higher education.” Although this definition holds true, many students see their professors as more than just “teachers.” They are mentors, role models and influential figures.

Most full-time students spend more time at school than they do at home. Spending 12 hours a week in class is the norm. This means, being lectured by authoritative figures that teach you what they know – while occasionally weaving in their own opinions.

It is understandable that outside of the classroom, professors are human beings who have their own beliefs just as students do. But advocating their personal thoughts to students is not always necessary.

As students, we have a right to question our professors. Although they are an authority figure, they are not always right. There are times you will disagree with them and other moments when their thoughts will provoke feelings of anger or curiosity. When this happens, make a statement.

If students don’t question their professors, who will? College is the time to figure out who you are and what you stand for – as a student and an individual.

Professors who encourage students to believe what they believe are wrong. Some students may agree with their professors’ positions, but other students won’t. And that’s understandable.

Take a brief look at politics. President Barack Obama is a Democrat. Some members in Congress are Republican. Obama doesn’t encourage these GOP members to side with the Democratic Party, but he advocates compromise.

In this way, professors should do the same. Although it can be beneficial for professors to state their opinions, students should have a right to take their stand and challenge their views. This makes for a better learning environment.

Writer William Arthur Ward once wrote, “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.”

When professors interject their opinions into their lectures and do not allow students to raise contradicting thoughts, a negative impact arises. This can result in students despising the professor, missing frequent classes or dropping the class altogether.

As the semester continues, don’t be afraid to raise your hand in class if your professor says something you may not agree with.

Great teachers will inspire students to question their knowledge and their beliefs because as much as students learn from their professors, professors learn from their students as well.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...