Basketball

Canes face first home conference loss in three years

Senior guard, Stefanie Yderstrom, dribbles down court during Sunday's games against North Carolina. Zach Beeker // Staff Photographer

Senior guard, Stefanie Yderstrom, dribbles down court during Sunday’s games against North Carolina. Zach Beeker // Staff Photographer

For the first time in nearly three years, the Miami women’s basketball team walked away from the BankUnited Center with a loss against a conference opponent.

UM led No. 11 North Carolina by five points with 30 seconds left on Sunday, but saw its lead evaporate down the stretch. A buzzer-beating baseline jumper from UNC sophomore Danielle Butts gave the Tar Heels a 64-62 victory and silenced a full Miami student section.

“Brittany Rountree, I saw her dribbling up the court, so initial reaction is, ‘get open,’” Butts said of the final play. “I was running the floor and then I was making sure I had good spacing and me and Brittany made eye contact and I knew that she was going to try to look for me. She gave a great pass and we already knew time, score, situation, so I just caught the ball and shot it.”

Hurricanes senior Morgan Stroman paced Miami from start to finish. She poured in a career-high 28 points on 9-of-13 shooting from the field and 10-of-11 at the line, plus 13 rebounds.

“I just wanted to go out there and play a good game, I feel like I haven’t had one of those in a while,” Stroman said. “Not a good game like stats-wise, but knowing where I need to be at on the court and I felt like I was more alert this game and more focused on what I needed to do, which was box out and knowing where the ball was.”

Aside from Stroman’s big numbers, Miami had major struggles offensively. The rest of her teammates shot just 8-of-40 combined.

Standout guard Stefanie Yderstrom could not find her shot all afternoon, going 1-of-13 from the field for just six points. Coach Katie Meier, who tabbed this as one of the toughest losses of her career, spoke about the senior’s struggles.

“I don’t know [why she was off], I know they came after her quite a bit, but everyone’s been doing that all year,” Meier said. “And it wasn’t so much that she was missing shots, we can handle that. Shooters miss shots sometimes. It was more so her decision-making.”

After trailing 29-18 late in the first half, Miami outscored the Heels 28-14 over the next 12 minutes and got in position for a win.

The Hurricanes led 46-43 with 12:03 left and the teams played back-and-forth ball from there. It was 55 apiece with 1:15 to go when sophomore Suriya McGuire nailed a 3-pointer to put the Canes up by three.

Miami extended its lead to five, 61-56, with 32 ticks to go. Then UNC took advantage of turnovers and missed free throws from the Canes, evening the score at 62 with 12 seconds left on a pair of free throws by senior Tierra Ruffin-Pratt, who scored a team-high 19 points.

McGuire missed a layup for Miami at the other end, Rountree grabbed the board for UNC, dribbled up the floor and found Butts, who ended the game and sent UNC players streaming onto the court.

The loss drops Miami to 5-4 in the ACC.

The Canes currently stand in sixth place in the conference with nine games to go in the regular season.

Miami returns to the court on Thursday at 7 p.m. on the road at No. 4 Duke. All conference games can be heard live on 90.5 FM or on wvum.org.

Alex Schwartz

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...