Republicans: Listen to Beyonce, move to the left

When Beyonce isn’t busy lip-syncing the national anthem, she’s actually proclaiming words of wisdom.

Like her hit song “Irreplaceable” recommends, Republicans should scoot a bit over to the left.  To make strides, the Republican Party should listen to Queen B: “To the left, to the left, everything you own in the box to the left…”

So, Republicans, collect all your socially conservative views, put them in a box, and move to the left. Seriously. If you want to make some moves, stop being so stiff about immigration. Or gay rights. Or abortion. And loosen the grip on your guns. I know it’s a lot to ask, but at least consider it.

In order to make conservative progress in the economic arena, Republicans need to embrace social policies that lean more to the left. We are living in the 21st century. Realize that some men love other men. Understand that women need more access to birth control, because sometimes condoms aren’t enough. I mean, you don’t want to end up overpopulated like China, right?

The GOP needs a revamp. A makeover. A fresh face. And no, the Tea Party was certainly not the change I had in mind.

As a college student, I’m torn. I don’t believe in either party’s views at the moment, despite the inspiring presidential inauguration that took place Monday. Sure, we’ve come a long way since the days of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., but we still have a long way to go.

I’m socially liberal, and fiscally conservative. My problem is not that I don’t believe in any form of government regulation, it’s that I can’t believe in Congress’ inability to compromise.

Meet somewhere in the middle, guys.

I was raised by conservative Cuban parents. On the day I passed my driver’s license test, I registered to vote as a member of the Republican Party. I even worked for a Republican Congresswoman one summer.

Surely, there are some conservative values I’m sure many young Americans like myself will always hold close to heart. Americans shouldn’t depend on government aid in order to attain the American Dream. If you want to reach a goal, work hard for it. Don’t make excuses for your inability to succeed.

I mean, it’s not like Canada is known for its fabulous work ethic with its socialist policies.

We became the great United States because we sweat to succeed. Don’t depend on Uncle Sam to help you climb the corporate ladder.

Still, the GOP is in desperate need of an update. Listen to Beyonce; move a bit to the left.

Stephanie Parra is a junior majoring in journalism and political science.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...