Republicans: Listen to Beyonce, move to the left

When Beyonce isn’t busy lip-syncing the national anthem, she’s actually proclaiming words of wisdom.

Like her hit song “Irreplaceable” recommends, Republicans should scoot a bit over to the left.  To make strides, the Republican Party should listen to Queen B: “To the left, to the left, everything you own in the box to the left…”

So, Republicans, collect all your socially conservative views, put them in a box, and move to the left. Seriously. If you want to make some moves, stop being so stiff about immigration. Or gay rights. Or abortion. And loosen the grip on your guns. I know it’s a lot to ask, but at least consider it.

In order to make conservative progress in the economic arena, Republicans need to embrace social policies that lean more to the left. We are living in the 21st century. Realize that some men love other men. Understand that women need more access to birth control, because sometimes condoms aren’t enough. I mean, you don’t want to end up overpopulated like China, right?

The GOP needs a revamp. A makeover. A fresh face. And no, the Tea Party was certainly not the change I had in mind.

As a college student, I’m torn. I don’t believe in either party’s views at the moment, despite the inspiring presidential inauguration that took place Monday. Sure, we’ve come a long way since the days of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., but we still have a long way to go.

I’m socially liberal, and fiscally conservative. My problem is not that I don’t believe in any form of government regulation, it’s that I can’t believe in Congress’ inability to compromise.

Meet somewhere in the middle, guys.

I was raised by conservative Cuban parents. On the day I passed my driver’s license test, I registered to vote as a member of the Republican Party. I even worked for a Republican Congresswoman one summer.

Surely, there are some conservative values I’m sure many young Americans like myself will always hold close to heart. Americans shouldn’t depend on government aid in order to attain the American Dream. If you want to reach a goal, work hard for it. Don’t make excuses for your inability to succeed.

I mean, it’s not like Canada is known for its fabulous work ethic with its socialist policies.

We became the great United States because we sweat to succeed. Don’t depend on Uncle Sam to help you climb the corporate ladder.

Still, the GOP is in desperate need of an update. Listen to Beyonce; move a bit to the left.

Stephanie Parra is a junior majoring in journalism and political science.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...