Republicans: Listen to Beyonce, move to the left

When Beyonce isn’t busy lip-syncing the national anthem, she’s actually proclaiming words of wisdom.

Like her hit song “Irreplaceable” recommends, Republicans should scoot a bit over to the left.  To make strides, the Republican Party should listen to Queen B: “To the left, to the left, everything you own in the box to the left…”

So, Republicans, collect all your socially conservative views, put them in a box, and move to the left. Seriously. If you want to make some moves, stop being so stiff about immigration. Or gay rights. Or abortion. And loosen the grip on your guns. I know it’s a lot to ask, but at least consider it.

In order to make conservative progress in the economic arena, Republicans need to embrace social policies that lean more to the left. We are living in the 21st century. Realize that some men love other men. Understand that women need more access to birth control, because sometimes condoms aren’t enough. I mean, you don’t want to end up overpopulated like China, right?

The GOP needs a revamp. A makeover. A fresh face. And no, the Tea Party was certainly not the change I had in mind.

As a college student, I’m torn. I don’t believe in either party’s views at the moment, despite the inspiring presidential inauguration that took place Monday. Sure, we’ve come a long way since the days of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., but we still have a long way to go.

I’m socially liberal, and fiscally conservative. My problem is not that I don’t believe in any form of government regulation, it’s that I can’t believe in Congress’ inability to compromise.

Meet somewhere in the middle, guys.

I was raised by conservative Cuban parents. On the day I passed my driver’s license test, I registered to vote as a member of the Republican Party. I even worked for a Republican Congresswoman one summer.

Surely, there are some conservative values I’m sure many young Americans like myself will always hold close to heart. Americans shouldn’t depend on government aid in order to attain the American Dream. If you want to reach a goal, work hard for it. Don’t make excuses for your inability to succeed.

I mean, it’s not like Canada is known for its fabulous work ethic with its socialist policies.

We became the great United States because we sweat to succeed. Don’t depend on Uncle Sam to help you climb the corporate ladder.

Still, the GOP is in desperate need of an update. Listen to Beyonce; move a bit to the left.

Stephanie Parra is a junior majoring in journalism and political science.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...