Football, Sports

NCAA launches internal investigation

Members of the NCAA enforcement staff who sought information about the alleged improper benefits scandal at University of Miami now face an investigation into its own conduct.

On Wednesday, the NCAA placed its investigation into the Miami athletic department on hold, and will turn its attention to the association’s own staff.

Several former employees apparently worked with the criminal defense attorney for Nevin Shapiro to obtain information during an unrelated bankruptcy proceeding. Shapiro, a rogue UM booster who said he doled out thousands of impermissible benefits to several dozen athletes, prompted the NCAA to launch an investigation nearly two years ago.

The NCAA does not have subpoena power, meaning the information it gained through Shapiro’s attorney would not have been otherwise accessible.

“To say the least, I am angered and saddened by this situation,” NCAA President Mark Emmert said in a teleconference Wednesday afternoon. “Trust and credibility are essential to our regulatory tasks. My intent is to ensure our investigatory functions operate with integrity and are fair and consistent with our member schools, athletics staff and most importantly our student-athletes.”

Similarly, UM President Donna E. Shalala released a statement to express her discontent.

“Since the University first alerted the NCAA to the possibility of violations more than two years ago, we have been cooperative and compliant with the NCAA and, I believe, a model for how institutions should partner with NCAA staff during investigations,” the statement read. “I am frustrated, disappointed and concerned by President Emmert’s announcement today that the integrity of the investigation may have been compromised by the NCAA staff.”

Emmert will move forward with an external review of the enforcement committee’s actions. The news of the NCAA’s own misconduct comes on the tail of last week’s report that UM could soon receive a notice of allegations.

Individuals implicated in the NCAA’s UM investigation – who receive a notice of allegations – will have 90 days to respond before any sanctions are handed out.

Spencer Dandes

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...