News, Student Organization

MLK Jr. remembered in United Black Students’ annual celebrations

The Shoma Hall filled slowly as students trickled in grinning and greeting each other. Members of United Black Students (UBS) all wore their white org polo’s showing their pride to their organization. Brian Blake, vice provost for academic affairs and dean of the Graduate School, sat off to the side, looking into his portfolio, preparing for his speech. They were ready for take-off.

The ceremony marked the beginning of UBS’s annual Martin Luther King Jr. celebrations.

To mark the occasion, Blake delivered a motivating and inspiring speech encouraging students to stand out and make themselves heard. He spoke of the diversity at UM and the benefits that can come from it.  

“His speech was very enlightening, informative and eye-opening,” said senior Alexis Milton.

Senior Raina Bembry agreed with Blake’s message.

“We can’t fade into the background, we need to make our presence known,” she said. “We need to be seen.”

Blake previously worked at Georgetown University and Notre Dame University but was unimpressed with the events hosted by the black community at those schools. He is excited about UBS’s MLK celebrations and hopes to attend several of the events.

“I met with each one of the members individually and they’re all just so engaged,” Blake said. “It’s amazing.”

Amanda Pena

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...