Hollywood film crew trains UM students

University of Miami students worked with a Hollywood film crew on Robert Townsend’s shoot on Jan. 12. The film, “Playin’ for Love,” was filmed in Overtown.Photo Courtesy Jenny Abreu 

University of Miami motion pictures students were exposed to a piece of Hollywood while working with filmmaker Robert Townsend.

Townsend is an actor, writer and director who has produced films including “Hollywood Shuffle,” “The Five Heartbeats” and “The Meteor Man.” He has also worked with stars like Halle Berry, Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington.

Production on the film, “Playin’ for Love,” took place across Miami this December and January. Beyond the professionals, the production crew for the basketball-centric romantic comedy included about 20 UM students and additional high school students from the Overtown community, a low-income area of Miami.

“Everyone won on this. I found it a very nice collaboration,” said Ed Talavera, director of the Department of Cinema and Interactive Media.

Noah DeBonis, who is pursuing his master’s in motion pictures, assisted with lighting on set. He saw it as an exciting opportunity to work alongside a legend like Townsend.

“Watching people do their work helps you see the way that they do things, and you learn from that,” he said.

With dozens of students expressing interest in the project, applicants were asked to submit an essay explaining how they would benefit. Brittany Hickey, a junior majoring in motion pictures and advertising, was one of the students chosen.

“I said that I came from a small country-town in Michigan, and this opportunity was one in a million for me personally,” she said.

Townsend saw the project as beneficial exposure for the participants.

“The students are getting a real taste of Hollywood and film production,” Townsend said to the School of Communication. “Everybody is learning and they’re seeing how many different jobs there are in making a movie and what it really takes to make it happen.”

Townsend cared about the filmmaking project being an optimal educational experience for the people involved, Hickey said.

“You’d get on the set and he’d know you by name,” she said. “He was fun to be around.”

Hickey’s favorite day on set was shooting the basketball sequences in the gym.

“The crowd was going crazy. There was so much energy in the gym,” she said. “You got to see how an action sequence actually works.”

High school students from Overtown also worked on set. Because the movie is about a high school basketball team, some of them also acted in the basketball scenes, according to Talavera.

DeBonis said the Overtown students seemed very excited to be working on the project.

“Everyone was really gelling together, and it was a cool process,” he said. “It was cool to see the kids loving being able to do this because they’ve never seen anything like this before.”

Simply by being there with the professionals, Hickey felt she learned much more in the span of a month than she could have in an entire semester of school.

“School can teach you the basics, but you can’t understand the real way it works in a motion picture unless you’re there doing it hands on,” Hickey said.

Rianna Hidalgo contributed to this report. 

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Apollo 11 astronaut’s moonwalk, which took place 50 years ago Saturday, is remembered by members of ...

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...