Bowl ban dampens Cane pride

The only way to salvage the long, excruciating 90-degree Miami winter, is to have the University of Miami beat down some hopeless team in a bowl game. Yeah right.

UM’s administration put a bowl ban on the football team for the second year in a row. So instead of cheering on the green and orange to victory, the most excitement Canes fans had this bowl season was watching the Gators lose in the Sugar Bowl, which was actually pretty satisfying.

It isn’t like Miami had an amazing team this year, but I would have rather become a couch bum and watched them have a chance to win the Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl rather than go to Santa’s Enchanted Forrest for the 18th time. It’s not that I don’t like that ghetto North Pole, it’s just that I feel like I will either die from falling off a ride, or die from a disease I catch from not wiping off the seat of the ferris wheel before I sit down.

If the U didn’t ban themselves from the postseason they would have had a shot at the ACC Championship and even a BCS Bowl berth. Instead, all South Florida and Miami fans are forced to hear about how great it is that Alabama and Notre Dame played for a title in our backyard. As much as I love Nick Satan … I mean Saban, there’s a part of me that wishes I didn’t have to type in “2002 National Championship” on YouTube to see the Hurricanes in a big game.

But, I can’t complain that much. I would take the sunny beaches of South Florida over the frozen wasteland of Indiana and the tumbleweeds of Alabama any day. That may be a little overdramatized. I haven’t been to either of those places. By now, this must sound like an obnoxious fan whose team doesn’t have anything worth bragging about in the past 10 years – so basically a Notre Dame fan before this season.

So while I watched the Little Caesars Bowl game between two colleges that have a total combined enrollment of 800 students, I hoped for next season. In just one year, all of Al Golden’s ties will be freshly dry-cleaned, and hopefully the 60-year-old Ray Lewis will inspire the team to play like the old days.

There is hope for Hurricane football in 2013, but for now I’ll just sit here with my spiked eggnog and relive the glory days. There is a good chance Larry Coker and Ken Dorsey are doing the same thing.

Kyle Rambo is a junior majoring in math education.

Kyle Rambo

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...