Blogs

An Eye on The Hurricane: Kicking off the semester

The start of the semester constantly brings about a new long list of ideas. Some of them make it through, some of them are forgotten and lost. I am new to the editor-in-chief position this semester, and as per tradition, I have a long list of ideas and plans to get done. From our Specs cover infographic to my first news (and cover) story for the paper, we’re off to a running start.

This semester, expect to have our annual Best of Miami issue on the racks much sooner than usual. We hope this will allow you to hit up all those fabulous bars and restaurants around Miami before the year ends. Also expect a greater, regular stream of online content with our new online editor position. As always, our Facebook and Twitter are an open forum for you to sound off and communicate with us.

After years of a negative shadow cast over the Hurricane football team, the investigations by the NCAA have been put on hold. Members of the organization are now turning their sights on their own staff for conduct. Check themiamihurricane.com for more information on the sanctions.

On Wednesday night, it’s the big men’s basketball game against Duke and Thursday night our women’s basketball team takes on Wake Forest at North Carolina, but you can catch them again at home on Sunday when they play against North Carolina. Review the results of these conference games in our next two issues.

Also check out our issue on Thursday for our staff editorial on President Obama’s statement about gay rights in his inaugural address. Our last editorial dealt with Gov. Rick Scott’s plan to freeze tuition for science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) majors, but would allow humanities and other major’s tuition to rise. Luckily this will not affect UM and our stance – much in accord with UM faculty and administration – is that you should follow your passion. College is the time to grow and learn and face new challenges – money shouldn’t dictate that.

We expect this to be a strong semester and we’re very excited. We work hard to bring you campus and community news first, but if you have any tips or ideas, feel free to email me or stop by our office, UC room 221B.

An Eye on The Hurricane is a blog that features a behind-the-scenes look at the conceptualization and production of the semi-weekly, award-winning newspaper edited by undergraduate students at the University of Miami.

This post was written by Demi Rafuls, the editor-in-chief of The Miami Hurricane. Posts will be contributed by various members of the editorial staff.

Demi Rafuls

Editor-in-Chief

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...