United Black Students organizes annual celebration for MLK Day

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.will be honored on campus with an annual celebration coordinated by United Black Students (UBS). This year is all about fresh perspective.

The theme for 2013 week of festivities,“The Mountain Top,” will not only be a celebration of Dr. King, but also a chance for UBS to showcase its growth as an organization, demonstrate what it stands for, and maintain the tradition behind MLK week.

“MLK is always about his birthday, but this year we’re going beyond that,” UBS president Tiffany Ford said.

The Mountain Top will be going deeper into King’s legacy. While most are familiar with his “I Have A Dream” speech, the celebration will bring to light his lesser-known “I’ve Been to the Mountain Top” speech. When he delivered that piece in April 1968, King claimed to have reached his peak and seen the Promised Land.

“He knows he might not reach and be able to see the prosperity, so he reminds people to lay the foundation for others,” said Ajiah Daley, first vice president of UBS and chair of MLK week. “This is a chance for people to get a renewed view of MLK.”

The UM community can look forward to a week filled with events aimed at shifting perspective.

“Students should really look forward to UNLearn: The Narrative,” Daley said. “A lot of people are mistaken. For example, Rosa Parks didn’t just decide to stay on the bus. She was chosen, she knew what she was doing and the movement that was being started.”

MLK week will kick off with an opening ceremony to bring the student body together and share in the history of MLK beyond racial boundaries.

Daley will present a speech to explain “The Mountain Top” theme and show a video montage of past events. Brian Blake, dean of graduate students, is also scheduled to speak at the opening ceremony on Tuesday at Shoma Hall in the School of Communication’s International Building.

“My favorite part of MLK has always been the opening ceremony,” Ford said. “It really unites students and gets people excited for the events. It shows what it’s all about.”

Amanda Pena

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...