Christmas, New Year offer fresh start

As I get back into my college routine for the onset of the spring semester, I cannot help but reflect back on what a great holiday break I had. The beaming Christmas trees, cheerful holiday tunes, bountiful gustatory goodies, family and friends are all linchpins for a great holiday experience.

However, what I was able to learn during the break transcended these elements and gave me a deeper understanding of what it actually means to be home for the holidays.

Pre-Christmas

I’m clicking away on Amazon, trying to put myself in my gift recipients’ shoes. What would they like for Christmas? Yes, I’m calculating the shipping and delivery times because I may have procrastinated a bit on my holiday shopping. Yes, they will arrive just before Dec. 25, so I have time to wrap my gifts in my snowman wrapping paper. Thank God and the U.S. Postal Service.

This beneficence associated with Christmas is the time where you can express your gratitude to those who care about you. Appreciate the joy you bring about and receive with your kind act of giving.

Christmas

My family and I gather around the tree Christmas morning, each one of us kids at heart. The excitement develops as I spot the presents that spent the night beneath the tree. My fingers fiddle while I open the gift. My smile flashes, staring at my present. When I look up, I see that I am not the only one smiling in delight. We all are.

My mother says it best, “Christmas is a time of year to appreciate not what’s under the tree, but to appreciate who is around it.”

New Year

The hors d’oeuvres are ready, and the TV is set to watch Ryan Seacrest ring in the New Year from Times Square. Taylor Swift performs live on the program. I think back to the amazing memories formed and great people that I have met this past year. The countdown begins. Oh boy, here goes another year.

The New Year is great to start fresh and learn from the mistakes experienced the year before. We all have been given a new beginning.

Ladies and gentlemen, happy 2013!

Raymond La is a sophomore majoring in microbiology.

Raymond La

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...