Nearby eateries feature popular happy hours, food specials

With school back in session, it can be hard to save your money. New clothes and books can be a burden on your wallet. But just because you’re a broke college student doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be able to enjoy yourself on the weekends.

Here are the top 10 nearby eateries with happy hours and tasty food specials.

1) Buffalo Wild Wings (five minutes from campus)

A cool place to grab a brewski, dive food and watch the game (any game) on one of the many TVs. Best part: They close late and are across the street from campus, right in Sunset Place.

5701 Sunset Drive, South Miami

Food Specials: 50-cent wing Tuesdays and 60-cent boneless wing Thursdays all day!

Happy Hour: Monday–Friday 9 p.m.–12 a.m.

2) Burger and Beer Joint (15 minutes from campus)

Tucked inside Mary Brickell Village, this place has a retro vibe, playing old school classic rock tunes and is always teeming with patrons. Come here with an appetite, because the burgers are massive and the beer selection is great for all the beer connoisseurs out there. Try The Hotel California if you’re hungry. 

900 South Miami Ave. #130, Miami

Food Specials: $10 burgers all day Tuesdays

Happy Hour: Monday – Friday 5-7 p.m.; Monday – Thursday. midnight to 2 a.m.

3) Cheesecake Factory (10-15 minutes from campus)

If you’re hungry for something but you’re not quite sure what, The Cheesecake Factory is a good go-to place. The menu features an incredible variety of styles and flavors, not to mention the restaurant’s enormous entree portions and extensive cheesecake selection. If you decide to stop by, order the fried mac and cheese appetizer with a mojito.

7497 N. Kendall Drive, Miami (Dadeland Mall)

3015 Grand Ave., Coconut Grove (CocoWalk)

Happy Hour: Monday–Friday 4–6 p.m.

4) Chili’s  (10 minutes from campus)

Looking for some cheap eats and good portions? Look no further than Chili’s. Try the bottomless tostada chips with housemade salsa for less than $5.

8815 SW 72 Place, Miami (Dadeland)

Happy Hour: 2 for 1 all day, everyday

5) Cibo Wine Bar (eight minutes from campus)

Try this classy Italian place with awesome Italian fare while not breaking the bank. Plus, there is a small show involving a woman in a harness and chords performing acrobatics while retrieving bottles of wine every few minutes or so. You definitely can’t visit just once.

45 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables

Specials: Tuesdays- linguini with a fresh whole lobster for $19.95; Thursdays from 4–8 p.m.- Quattro-Otto Thursdays include half-price drinks and ladies drink for free (a unique signature cocktail each week)

Happy Hour: every day 4–7 p.m. (half-priced drinks)

6) Flanigan’s (five minutes from campus)

If you’re a seafood fanatic and want to go to a quick and casual place, try out Flanigan’s. Not fancy but not a hole in the wall, Flanigan’s very comfortable and stays open relatively late.

2721 Bird Ave., Miami
Happy Hour: Monday–Friday 4–7 p.m. (at the bar only)

7) Monty’s Seafood Restaurant (10 minutes from campus)

Monty’s is a hot spot on Fridays for UM students. Take advantage of the fact that we live in Miami by sitting outside. The fresh seafood cart is really good and offers decent prices during happy hour.

8815 SW 72nd Place, Miami

Happy Hour: Monday–Friday 4–8 p.m. (drinks) Monday-Friday 4 – 10 p.m. (fresh seafood cart)

8) RA Sushi (five minutes from campus)

This hot spot offers Asian fusion on top of the more common Japanese fare. RA has a modern ambiance inside featuring music. If you check in on Foursquare, you can get a free miso soup or edamame every time! Drink suggestions: legit sake bombs are always fun albeit messy or the umami punch, which is served in a fishbowl.

5829 SW 73rd St., Miami

Happy Hour: Monday–Saturday 3 p.m.–7 p.m.

Late night Happy Hour: Monday-Thursday 10 p.m. to midnight (food and drink specials)

9) T.G.I. Friday’s (3 min. from campus)
Not only is Friday’s super close and decently price, but it also has a full bar and opens late. Try the Ultimate Sangria and the potstickers.

1200 South Dixie Hwy., Coral Gables

Happy Hour: every day 3–7 p.m.; Sunday–Thursday 9 p.m.–1 a.m. ; Friday–Saturday 9 p.m.–2 a.m.

10) Yard House (6 min. from campus)

Located in Merrick Park, this place offers a crazy variety of food. The menu also features an impressive drink menu with a focus on beer. With the ample TV screens around, it’s a great place to watch the game, listen to great classic rock, while maintaining a classy atmosphere.

320 San Lorenzo Ave., Coral Gables

Happy Hour: Sunday–Wednesday 10 p.m.–1:30 a.m. ; Monday–Friday 3–6 p.m.

Catherine Wong

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...