News Briefs 1/17

MLK Day of Service

The United Black Students, in association with Multicultural Student Affairs (MSA), present “The Mountain Top,” a celebration of Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy. The opening ceremonies will be held at 7 p.m. Tuesday. For more information, call 305-284-2855. 

Writing Center

The Writing Center has moved from its prior location near the Pavia Garage to 170 LaGorce House, on Dickinson Drive, near the Wellness Center and School of Architecture. For more information, visit as.miami.edu/writingcenter or call 305-284-2956.

Spring Kickoff

Student Government and Hurricane Productions are hosting a celebration for the start of the spring semester at the Hecht and Stanford Residential Colleges Bridge from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday. There will be music and free food including a barbecue and funnel cakes. For more information, visit hurricaneproductions.org.

Beaux Arts’ Festival

UM will be hosting the 62nd Annual Beaux Arts’ Festival of Art on Saturday and Sunday in front of the Lowe Art Museum. The festival is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day, and patrons will be able to view and purchase art from more than 200 juried exhibitors.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...