News Briefs 1/17

MLK Day of Service

The United Black Students, in association with Multicultural Student Affairs (MSA), present “The Mountain Top,” a celebration of Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy. The opening ceremonies will be held at 7 p.m. Tuesday. For more information, call 305-284-2855. 

Writing Center

The Writing Center has moved from its prior location near the Pavia Garage to 170 LaGorce House, on Dickinson Drive, near the Wellness Center and School of Architecture. For more information, visit as.miami.edu/writingcenter or call 305-284-2956.

Spring Kickoff

Student Government and Hurricane Productions are hosting a celebration for the start of the spring semester at the Hecht and Stanford Residential Colleges Bridge from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday. There will be music and free food including a barbecue and funnel cakes. For more information, visit hurricaneproductions.org.

Beaux Arts’ Festival

UM will be hosting the 62nd Annual Beaux Arts’ Festival of Art on Saturday and Sunday in front of the Lowe Art Museum. The festival is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day, and patrons will be able to view and purchase art from more than 200 juried exhibitors.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...