Lefties left behind in a right-hand world

My parents never “corrected” my inclination to write with my right hand, much to my grandparents’ dismay. Sometimes, though, I wish they had fixed me. 

When I was just 6 years old, learning to perfect my penmanship, my grandfather warned me of the several traumas I’d face should I continue using the dreaded left hand. Maybe I should’ve switched to the right side.

Even though I eventually learned to work around this, there was a time in my life I couldn’t write down a single word without it leaving a remnant on the side of my hand. Half of my notes ended up smudged on the side of my hand, and my neat notes were always illegible. I should’ve learned to write the right way.

I never knew desks for left-handed students existed until I got to high school. I marveled at the thought of being able to sit straight and take notes in a class, without having to bend in an awkward shape to take notes like a normal human being. Unfortunately though, these desks are not portable.

Once, I was told lefties could receive scholarships to get into college – just for being a lefty. I inquired about the possibility of receiving such monetary recompense after all these years of subpar treatment, but was laughed at by many college admissions counselors. Nothing comes easy when you’re left-handed.

When it comes to sitting down to eat at a table, I always have to be wary of my neighbors. Bumping elbows with a righty is the worst – especially when you’re the only lefty at the table.

Luckily though, I’ve discovered several solutions to remedy my problems. I’m learning to write in Hebrew and Arabic. Or maybe I’ll give George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton or Barack Obama a phone call and ask them for some advice – since they, too, are left-handed. Bart Simpson may also give me great advice … he’s a lefty, too.

Stephanie Parra is a junior majoring in political science and journalism. 

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...