Football, Sports

Former FIU head coach Cristobal joins Hurricanes staff

Mario Cristobal rejoined the Hurricanes football staff on Thursday, the University of Miami announced. Cristobal, a former Miami player and coach, will serve as associate coach and tight ends coach.

He was fired in December as head coach at FIU, where the Golden Panthers finished 3-9 in 2012. Despite the underperforming season, Cristobal is credited with turning an irrelevant program into Sun Belt Conference champions since he took the coaching job in 2006.

“It’s great to have someone of his caliber back on the staff and home where he belongs,” said Chris Yandle, director of communications for the UM athletic department. “Mario is a Miami guy through and through – everybody knows him.”

Brennan Carroll will transition from his current position as tight ends coach and will now work with the Canes’ wide receivers.

Cristobal was a member of two national championship teams during his playing days at Miami. He was a graduate assistant from 1998 to 2000, and the tight ends/offensive line coach from 2004 to 2006.

Spencer Dandes

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...