UMTV supervisor ‘polished’ on air

While some communication students struggle to find work after they graduate from college, senior Julian Glover does not worry.

With previous internships at Fox and CBS under his belt, Glover now works at WFOR CBS in Miami as an associate producer every Friday to Sunday from 2 p.m. to midnight.

While working as a national desk intern in New York for CBS this past summer, Glover decided to look at job openings at CBS in Miami. When he saw an associate producer position opening, he immediately sent his resume.

After calling CBS many times, Glover finally got an interview when he came back to Miami, and the rest is history.

As associate producer Glover stacks the show, fills out the rundown and also helps write the script for the show.

“I do whatever needs to be done to make the newscast go on and off the air smoothly,” Glover said.

Glover, 20, majors in broadcast journalism and political science with a minor in sociology.

When not in class, Glover is the station manager of UMTV and is in charge of the executive board, coordinating coverage, supervising the eight different UMTV shows and making sure the production level of the shows are as high as possible.

Senior Cristian Benavides, who works as an executive producer for Uni Miami, a show featured on UMTV, thinks highly of Glover.

“I think what is really admirable about Julian is not only does he set an example for UMTV, but during his time as station manager, he has made the organization better,” he said. “We could not have asked for a better leader.”

During his first few semesters, Glover had trouble deciding whether he wanted to go into print journalism or media management. Once he anchored and reported for the shows Newsvision and UMTV Today on UMTV, UM’s cable television station, he knew broadcast journalism was for him.

Professor Barton, the faculty advisor for NewsVision, believes that Glover is well beyond his years as an broadcast journalist.

“His on-air skills are incredibly polished for a college student. He has been an anchor on NewsVision for three semesters,” he said. “We only choose the best, which says a lot about his on air skills.”

Although Glover does not not know where his career may take him, he is determined to become a CBS correspondent by the time he is 35. Glover is also interested in news room management and teaching journalism.

“I would like to be able to mentor people and help them find their path,” he said. “I believe teaching will help me do that.”

Camille Brown

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...