UMTV supervisor ‘polished’ on air

While some communication students struggle to find work after they graduate from college, senior Julian Glover does not worry.

With previous internships at Fox and CBS under his belt, Glover now works at WFOR CBS in Miami as an associate producer every Friday to Sunday from 2 p.m. to midnight.

While working as a national desk intern in New York for CBS this past summer, Glover decided to look at job openings at CBS in Miami. When he saw an associate producer position opening, he immediately sent his resume.

After calling CBS many times, Glover finally got an interview when he came back to Miami, and the rest is history.

As associate producer Glover stacks the show, fills out the rundown and also helps write the script for the show.

“I do whatever needs to be done to make the newscast go on and off the air smoothly,” Glover said.

Glover, 20, majors in broadcast journalism and political science with a minor in sociology.

When not in class, Glover is the station manager of UMTV and is in charge of the executive board, coordinating coverage, supervising the eight different UMTV shows and making sure the production level of the shows are as high as possible.

Senior Cristian Benavides, who works as an executive producer for Uni Miami, a show featured on UMTV, thinks highly of Glover.

“I think what is really admirable about Julian is not only does he set an example for UMTV, but during his time as station manager, he has made the organization better,” he said. “We could not have asked for a better leader.”

During his first few semesters, Glover had trouble deciding whether he wanted to go into print journalism or media management. Once he anchored and reported for the shows Newsvision and UMTV Today on UMTV, UM’s cable television station, he knew broadcast journalism was for him.

Professor Barton, the faculty advisor for NewsVision, believes that Glover is well beyond his years as an broadcast journalist.

“His on-air skills are incredibly polished for a college student. He has been an anchor on NewsVision for three semesters,” he said. “We only choose the best, which says a lot about his on air skills.”

Although Glover does not not know where his career may take him, he is determined to become a CBS correspondent by the time he is 35. Glover is also interested in news room management and teaching journalism.

“I would like to be able to mentor people and help them find their path,” he said. “I believe teaching will help me do that.”

Camille Brown

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Throughout campus, students expressed gratitude that they can be at UM and visit family during the T ...

Vector-borne specialist John Beier tells us what we should know about the illness. ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...