UMTV supervisor ‘polished’ on air

While some communication students struggle to find work after they graduate from college, senior Julian Glover does not worry.

With previous internships at Fox and CBS under his belt, Glover now works at WFOR CBS in Miami as an associate producer every Friday to Sunday from 2 p.m. to midnight.

While working as a national desk intern in New York for CBS this past summer, Glover decided to look at job openings at CBS in Miami. When he saw an associate producer position opening, he immediately sent his resume.

After calling CBS many times, Glover finally got an interview when he came back to Miami, and the rest is history.

As associate producer Glover stacks the show, fills out the rundown and also helps write the script for the show.

“I do whatever needs to be done to make the newscast go on and off the air smoothly,” Glover said.

Glover, 20, majors in broadcast journalism and political science with a minor in sociology.

When not in class, Glover is the station manager of UMTV and is in charge of the executive board, coordinating coverage, supervising the eight different UMTV shows and making sure the production level of the shows are as high as possible.

Senior Cristian Benavides, who works as an executive producer for Uni Miami, a show featured on UMTV, thinks highly of Glover.

“I think what is really admirable about Julian is not only does he set an example for UMTV, but during his time as station manager, he has made the organization better,” he said. “We could not have asked for a better leader.”

During his first few semesters, Glover had trouble deciding whether he wanted to go into print journalism or media management. Once he anchored and reported for the shows Newsvision and UMTV Today on UMTV, UM’s cable television station, he knew broadcast journalism was for him.

Professor Barton, the faculty advisor for NewsVision, believes that Glover is well beyond his years as an broadcast journalist.

“His on-air skills are incredibly polished for a college student. He has been an anchor on NewsVision for three semesters,” he said. “We only choose the best, which says a lot about his on air skills.”

Although Glover does not not know where his career may take him, he is determined to become a CBS correspondent by the time he is 35. Glover is also interested in news room management and teaching journalism.

“I would like to be able to mentor people and help them find their path,” he said. “I believe teaching will help me do that.”

Camille Brown

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...