Football, Sports

Golden reflects on strong leadership, postseason bowl ban

Junior quarterback Stephen Morris walks down the sideline to boost his teammates’ energy before the Canes took on Bethune-Cookman early in the season. Morris led Miami to a 7-5 record, but the team self-imposed a postseason bowl ban. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor 

In a perfect world, the Hurricanes would still be riding off the emotional highs of their 52-47 win over the Duke Blue Devils on Saturday afternoon. They’d be preparing for the first ACC Championship game in program history against hated rival Florida State.

Instead, the Canes will get a head start on the 2013 season.

With Miami’s 2012 season officially wrapped up, the team will now focus all its efforts on next season and beyond. The Hurricanes (7-5, 5-3 ACC) finished the regular season tied for first place atop the ACC Coastal Division with North Carolina, but Miami isn’t eligible for the championship game or a postseason bowl due to a self-imposed ban by the university.

Still, a season after being projected to finish fifth in the ACC – far behind other conference powerhouses – coach Al Golden sees the progress his team has made since the beginning of the year.

“I’m excited about moving forward. It was a little tenuous at the beginning there – you’re lining up a lot of young people, and it can get scary,” he said. “I’m proud of the way they held together. A lot of our upperclassmen really grew up and were leaders and embraced the young guys and developed a team unity and chemistry that could withstand the schedule we went through.”

Though the team is ineligible for postseason play, Golden mentioned how he regrets not being able to play in a championship game with quarterback Stephen Morris, who is coming off a 369-yard, three-touchdown performance against Duke. Morris finished the season with 3,345 yards, 21 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

“We have maybe the hottest quarterback in America right now over the last four games. He’s white hot,” Golden said of Morris. “We would have had a chance to bring a hot quarterback into a championship game. He has been spectacular …  I know he’s excited to come back and get all those wideouts and young guys, get them moving forward.”

With the team waiting for the NCAA to finish its investigation and dole out sanctions, it remains to be seen how much, if at all, the looming punishments will affect the team during the recruiting process. It is expected that the NCAA will enforce a scholarship reduction over the next few seasons to go along with the two bowl bans UM has already self-imposed.

The key, Golden said, remains honesty with potential recruits.

“I think they know exactly where they stand. If they’re looking for any disparity between what we’re saying and what we do, that’s being nullified by our current student-athletes,” he said. “I think they’re our greatest ambassadors. In a lot of ways, they are our litmus test, for, ‘Hey, what they said in recruiting actually happened.’”

One of the many storylines that played out during the past season was Miami’s defensive struggles. Inexperience and injury were the main detriments to the unit in 2012, as the defense ranked 84th in the nation in points allowed with a 30.5-point average.

Golden gave defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio a ringing endorsement, noting his previous track record at Temple University and the situation he was brought into this season.

“We’re going into the spring with all the same guys we just had. We’ll have symmetry finally after two years, which is something we haven’t had at all,” he said. “We had [cornerback]Brandon McGee backed up by someone coming out of high school. That’s not good business; it’s a hard position to play with the schedule we had. I have complete confidence in Mark, the defense and the young men on this team. We’re going to get it fixed and they’re going to go back to work.”

Amid rumors of his name being mentioned in other potential coaching opportunities around the country, Golden maintained his desire to stay in Miami and build the consistency the program has lacked over the past few years.

“I know my wife would cry if I said we were moving out of town,” he said. “I hope if that’s the case [his name being mentioned]it’s because of how we’re operating through a very tumultuous time, and how we’re being steadfast with our plan and not flinching. I hope people respect how we’re doing and how we’re going about it. I guess in that sense it’s flattering.”

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...