CrossFit club pushes members in rigorous workouts

Canes CrossFit co-founder Noah Ohlsen does a “skin the cat” during Wednesday morning’s WOD focusing on abdominals. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor 

While students in other on-campus organizations have relaxing weekly meetings, the students in the Canes CrossFit club struggle to catch their breath before beginning the next phase of their daily exercise routine.

Canes CrossFit offers students opportunities to engage in a challenging routine, performing several high-intensity workouts that can potentially change their fitness lifestyle.

Junior Noah Ohlsen, a president of CrossFit, said he believes that CrossFit is successful because it becomes part of the day’s routine.

“Simply put, you will be doing new and exciting exercises every day at a butt-kicking pace that will incorporate your whole body and translate over into your everyday life,” he said.

Ohlsen works with co-president Dylan Matlitsky to ensure that each club member is enjoying the CrossFit experience and reaping the benefits that they have experienced. It is because of these benefits that the boys started the club. According to Ohlsen, CrossFit is not just a club but a way of life. The regimen requires that students think about their diet, their level of physical activity and other health choices.

“The by-the-book definition of CrossFit is ‘constantly varied, functional movements performed at a high intensity,” Ohlsen said.

It isn’t easy. Each day, two trainers construct a new workout of the day (WOD) focusing on different muscle groups expected to cause muscle soreness for participants of all levels.

All members in the class, however, undergo the same routine. The workouts last about an hour.

Before the muscles can begin to cramp, members set individual goals, and as a team strive to help one another achieve these goals. The workouts are geared toward improving participants’ strength, stamina, agility and flexibility.

Sophomore Mary Gustafson enjoyed the team dynamic of CrossFit as motivation to test her physical limits.

“The team aspect is great because it pushes you harder than you can push yourself and gives the club a slightly competitive edge,” she said.

Classes remain small with about 10 members per trainer. This small class size helps ensure each person performs the WOD with correct form to gain maximum benefits.

CrossFit’s goal is to push members to their peak physical condition.

Students exercise with other gym members, with classes varying in age and experience.

Interested students can take free trial classes that allow students to determine whether the CrossFit intensity level is right for them. Students must become Peak 360 members in order to participate, but the gym offers UM CrossFit students a discounted rate.

Whitney Sommerfeldt

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...