CrossFit club pushes members in rigorous workouts

Canes CrossFit co-founder Noah Ohlsen does a “skin the cat” during Wednesday morning’s WOD focusing on abdominals. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor 

While students in other on-campus organizations have relaxing weekly meetings, the students in the Canes CrossFit club struggle to catch their breath before beginning the next phase of their daily exercise routine.

Canes CrossFit offers students opportunities to engage in a challenging routine, performing several high-intensity workouts that can potentially change their fitness lifestyle.

Junior Noah Ohlsen, a president of CrossFit, said he believes that CrossFit is successful because it becomes part of the day’s routine.

“Simply put, you will be doing new and exciting exercises every day at a butt-kicking pace that will incorporate your whole body and translate over into your everyday life,” he said.

Ohlsen works with co-president Dylan Matlitsky to ensure that each club member is enjoying the CrossFit experience and reaping the benefits that they have experienced. It is because of these benefits that the boys started the club. According to Ohlsen, CrossFit is not just a club but a way of life. The regimen requires that students think about their diet, their level of physical activity and other health choices.

“The by-the-book definition of CrossFit is ‘constantly varied, functional movements performed at a high intensity,” Ohlsen said.

It isn’t easy. Each day, two trainers construct a new workout of the day (WOD) focusing on different muscle groups expected to cause muscle soreness for participants of all levels.

All members in the class, however, undergo the same routine. The workouts last about an hour.

Before the muscles can begin to cramp, members set individual goals, and as a team strive to help one another achieve these goals. The workouts are geared toward improving participants’ strength, stamina, agility and flexibility.

Sophomore Mary Gustafson enjoyed the team dynamic of CrossFit as motivation to test her physical limits.

“The team aspect is great because it pushes you harder than you can push yourself and gives the club a slightly competitive edge,” she said.

Classes remain small with about 10 members per trainer. This small class size helps ensure each person performs the WOD with correct form to gain maximum benefits.

CrossFit’s goal is to push members to their peak physical condition.

Students exercise with other gym members, with classes varying in age and experience.

Interested students can take free trial classes that allow students to determine whether the CrossFit intensity level is right for them. Students must become Peak 360 members in order to participate, but the gym offers UM CrossFit students a discounted rate.

Whitney Sommerfeldt

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...