Getting into the holiday spirit

The holiday season is here, and whether you’re planning on pre-gaming before going caroling or unwrapping just one present on Christmas Eve, be sure to check out these three drink recipes to help you get into the holiday spirit. For more ideas on holiday drinks, be sure to do a quick Google search.

Coquito

Coquito, similar to the traditional eggnog with rum, is all the rage in Hispanic households during the holiday season. Check out this recipe from allrecipes.com.

Ingredients:
•       2 15-ounce cans of cream of coconut
•       2 14-ounce cans of condensed milk
•       6 ounces white rum (use less if you prefer)
•       1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•       1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
•       1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
•       1 teaspoon coconut (or vanilla) extract
Preparation:
1. Mix all ingredients in blender until smooth.
2. Refrigerate for about an hour before serving. Serve cold.

The Grinch

Yep, you guessed it. The Grinch, a featured drink on itthing.com, is named after the classic character. Even though it’s not as grumpy as its notorious green namesake, the drink does contain a variety of sweet flavors.

Ingredients:
•       2 oz Midori
•       1/2 oz lemon juice
•       1 tsp simple syrup
•       1 maraschino cherry
Preparation:
1.      Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice.
2.      Shake well.
3.      Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

4. Put the cherry on top.

Candy Cane

The Candy Cane, a dessert drink, contains berry, chocolate and peppermint flavors. This is another favorite from itthing.com, which has a perfect recipe for the delightful drink.

Ingredients:
•       3/4 oz SKYY Berry vodka
•       3/4 oz Peppermint Schnapps
•       3/4 oz white Crème de Cacao
•       1/4 oz grenadine
•       Half and half
•       Soda water
Preparation:
1.      Pour the vodka, Peppermint Schnapps, white Creme de Cacao and
grenadine into a cocktail shaker with ice.
2.      Shake well.
3.      Pour into a cocktail glass rimmed with crushed peppermint candy.
4.      Fill with half and half.
5.      Top with a splash of soda water.
6.      Rim the glass with crushed candy canes or other peppermint candy,
using the Schnapps or Crème de Cacao to wet the rim.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...