Getting into the holiday spirit

The holiday season is here, and whether you’re planning on pre-gaming before going caroling or unwrapping just one present on Christmas Eve, be sure to check out these three drink recipes to help you get into the holiday spirit. For more ideas on holiday drinks, be sure to do a quick Google search.

Coquito

Coquito, similar to the traditional eggnog with rum, is all the rage in Hispanic households during the holiday season. Check out this recipe from allrecipes.com.

Ingredients:
•       2 15-ounce cans of cream of coconut
•       2 14-ounce cans of condensed milk
•       6 ounces white rum (use less if you prefer)
•       1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•       1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
•       1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
•       1 teaspoon coconut (or vanilla) extract
Preparation:
1. Mix all ingredients in blender until smooth.
2. Refrigerate for about an hour before serving. Serve cold.

The Grinch

Yep, you guessed it. The Grinch, a featured drink on itthing.com, is named after the classic character. Even though it’s not as grumpy as its notorious green namesake, the drink does contain a variety of sweet flavors.

Ingredients:
•       2 oz Midori
•       1/2 oz lemon juice
•       1 tsp simple syrup
•       1 maraschino cherry
Preparation:
1.      Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice.
2.      Shake well.
3.      Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

4. Put the cherry on top.

Candy Cane

The Candy Cane, a dessert drink, contains berry, chocolate and peppermint flavors. This is another favorite from itthing.com, which has a perfect recipe for the delightful drink.

Ingredients:
•       3/4 oz SKYY Berry vodka
•       3/4 oz Peppermint Schnapps
•       3/4 oz white Crème de Cacao
•       1/4 oz grenadine
•       Half and half
•       Soda water
Preparation:
1.      Pour the vodka, Peppermint Schnapps, white Creme de Cacao and
grenadine into a cocktail shaker with ice.
2.      Shake well.
3.      Pour into a cocktail glass rimmed with crushed peppermint candy.
4.      Fill with half and half.
5.      Top with a splash of soda water.
6.      Rim the glass with crushed candy canes or other peppermint candy,
using the Schnapps or Crème de Cacao to wet the rim.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...