Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Thriving club team crushes Tampa for 15th victory

Senior captain Jake Shuman moves the puck down the ice in Saturday’s game against the University of Tampa at Kendall Ice Arena. Miami seized its 15th win this season by a score of 9-2, and the team ranks fourth in the American Collegiate Hockey Association’s South Division. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor 

Whoosh, slap, thud. It’s another save for Paul DeSilva.

DeSilva, a junior, is a third-year goalie for the University of Miami club ice hockey team.

“It’s a huge love-hate relationship,” DeSilva said of his pressure-filled role. “If the team loses, everyone blames it on you. If the team wins, you’re the man.”

He came to the University of Miami as a transfer student halfway through his freshman year. He first attended a New Hampshire prep school but decided it wasn’t worth the time and effort to play Division III hockey. DeSilva wanted something different.

“I wanted to go where I could get a good education, nice weather, pretty girls, beaches,” he said.

He didn’t expect to play hockey at UM, but soon found the roller hockey team. DeSilva struggled, as he had never played off the ice, but pushed through.

“It was obviously worth it because we won the national championship,” he said.

The roller team made the 2010 playoffs as an alternate and, when higher-ranked teams dropped out, Miami was given the final seed. The club won seven straight games and claimed the title in double overtime.

Last year the team transformed into Miami’s first ice hockey team. They went undefeated their first year, but were on probation and could not participate in playoffs. This year, the Canes are 15-0-1 and DeSilva is 7-0 with 109 saves.

He splits goaltending duties with fellow junior Joey Cimaglia.

Cimaglia said the two are “actually good friends,” despite the assumption that there would be intense competition between them. On most teams there is only room for one goalie.

Coach Michael Toyota explained the difference between a good goalie and a great goalie is the mental aspect of the game. He said DeSilva has great mental toughness and knows the fine line between confident and cocky.

“He sees things for what they are,” Toyota said.

DeSilva, a New Jersey native who fell in love with hockey when he saw the “Mighty Ducks” movies, started out as a defenseman, but he kept blocking the goalie, so the natural move was to become a goalie.

With the National Hockey League in a lockout with no end in sight, DeSilva is frustrated because he won’t get to watch his favorite teams. He and his buddies made it somewhere between 10 and 15 Florida Panthers games last year. However, the lockout might actually be a good thing for the young Hurricanes.

“We are the most competitive hockey [team]in Florida except for the NHL,” DeSilva said. “It gives us good PR, and we are showcasing our talents.”

An advantage of playing a club sport and not NCAA is that DeSilva leads a very balanced life. He enjoys being a student, a hockey player and a member of the fraternity Pi Kappa Alpha. Compared to student-athletes with scholarships, he doesn’t feel the pressure to make the sport his first priority in life.

“Academics is first. Really, that’s why we’re all here,” said DeSilva, a double major in sports administration and English with a minor in music business.

DeSilva has utmost respect for his coaches, who give their time to the team for free.

“They are one of the best coaching staffs in Florida,” he said. “They really care about the team.”

Overall, the team is a big brotherhood. They hang out together outside of hockey practice and games.

Even on road trips, you won’t see these guys glued to their laptops or zoned out watching TV. Instead they will be telling stories and laughing together.

“It’s so much fun,” DeSilva said. “It’s just a great time.”

Victoria Hernandez

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...