Veterans Day merits more gratitude

Five years ago during Veterans Day, something incredible happened. While sitting around at dinner with my extended family, my grandfather began to tell me a story about his time in the Army when he was stationed in France. That was the first time I had ever heard my grandfather talk about the Army.

In that moment, I was awestruck. The only thing I was able to force out in response to the story was, “That’s incredible, Grandpa.”

I can now say that it was the perfect response. There are no words to better describe the commitment made by those who enlist and serve in our armed forces. And we owe them this day to thank them for the sacrifices they have made for our own comfort.

Unfortunately, it seems we – as a nation – have begun to ignore the importance of Veterans Day. Here in Miami, we don’t take the day off. And the schools and businesses that do take off simply look at it as another potential break from classes or work.

But, that’s not what the day is about.

It is about celebrating our proud veterans’ bravery and service. They reach beyond the limits of human boundaries and doubt to protect immeasurable and numerous freedoms. The men and women of our armed forces are nothing less than superhumans.

I can’t even wrap my mind around how they summon the strength to go the lengths they do for my lifestyle. They put their lives on the line to go into foreign countries to help protect the liberties of those living both within and outside of our borders.

Today isn’t meant to be meaningless. The fact that many schools across the nation don’t feel the need to take the day off in honor of veterans is off putting, and hopefully that will soon change. Until then, all we can do is continue to thank all of those in the service.

And it should be every day. Not just on Veterans Day.

Robert Pursell is a senior majoring in journalism.

Robert Pursell

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...