Veterans Day merits more gratitude

Five years ago during Veterans Day, something incredible happened. While sitting around at dinner with my extended family, my grandfather began to tell me a story about his time in the Army when he was stationed in France. That was the first time I had ever heard my grandfather talk about the Army.

In that moment, I was awestruck. The only thing I was able to force out in response to the story was, “That’s incredible, Grandpa.”

I can now say that it was the perfect response. There are no words to better describe the commitment made by those who enlist and serve in our armed forces. And we owe them this day to thank them for the sacrifices they have made for our own comfort.

Unfortunately, it seems we – as a nation – have begun to ignore the importance of Veterans Day. Here in Miami, we don’t take the day off. And the schools and businesses that do take off simply look at it as another potential break from classes or work.

But, that’s not what the day is about.

It is about celebrating our proud veterans’ bravery and service. They reach beyond the limits of human boundaries and doubt to protect immeasurable and numerous freedoms. The men and women of our armed forces are nothing less than superhumans.

I can’t even wrap my mind around how they summon the strength to go the lengths they do for my lifestyle. They put their lives on the line to go into foreign countries to help protect the liberties of those living both within and outside of our borders.

Today isn’t meant to be meaningless. The fact that many schools across the nation don’t feel the need to take the day off in honor of veterans is off putting, and hopefully that will soon change. Until then, all we can do is continue to thank all of those in the service.

And it should be every day. Not just on Veterans Day.

Robert Pursell is a senior majoring in journalism.

Robert Pursell

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...