Veterans Day merits more gratitude

Five years ago during Veterans Day, something incredible happened. While sitting around at dinner with my extended family, my grandfather began to tell me a story about his time in the Army when he was stationed in France. That was the first time I had ever heard my grandfather talk about the Army.

In that moment, I was awestruck. The only thing I was able to force out in response to the story was, “That’s incredible, Grandpa.”

I can now say that it was the perfect response. There are no words to better describe the commitment made by those who enlist and serve in our armed forces. And we owe them this day to thank them for the sacrifices they have made for our own comfort.

Unfortunately, it seems we – as a nation – have begun to ignore the importance of Veterans Day. Here in Miami, we don’t take the day off. And the schools and businesses that do take off simply look at it as another potential break from classes or work.

But, that’s not what the day is about.

It is about celebrating our proud veterans’ bravery and service. They reach beyond the limits of human boundaries and doubt to protect immeasurable and numerous freedoms. The men and women of our armed forces are nothing less than superhumans.

I can’t even wrap my mind around how they summon the strength to go the lengths they do for my lifestyle. They put their lives on the line to go into foreign countries to help protect the liberties of those living both within and outside of our borders.

Today isn’t meant to be meaningless. The fact that many schools across the nation don’t feel the need to take the day off in honor of veterans is off putting, and hopefully that will soon change. Until then, all we can do is continue to thank all of those in the service.

And it should be every day. Not just on Veterans Day.

Robert Pursell is a senior majoring in journalism.

Robert Pursell

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...