Themed charity runs become latest fundraising trend

Warrior Dash came to Amelia Earhart Park in Hialeah this past Saturday. This intense 5K hosted a series of obstacles for racers to overcome, including jumping over a series of flaming logs. Proceeds benefit the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor 

Clad in all kinds of warrior garb, runners made their way to Amelia Earhart Park in Hialeah. Costumes ranged from traditional viking gear to “Rosie the Riveter” but participants were all there for one reason: the Warrior Dash, a 5K run to benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

Participants were encouraged to dress up for the 5K obstacle series, which featured 12 challenges. At the race’s check-in, all “warriors” received fuzzy Viking helmets to carry with them throughout their journey.

“It’s meant to be the craziest frickin’ day of your life,” said Sarah McGrath, a race director. “Once they’re done, they’re covered head to toe in mud with their Warrior Dash fuzzy helmet, and then have a turkey leg, beer and enjoy the festival atmosphere.”

At registration, warriors were given the option to be a “St. Jude Warrior.” Those who raised $250 had access to the St. Jude VIP tent, which included showers, free food and drinks.

“We were helping people, providing them with towels and answering their questions,” said junior Abby Salem, who volunteered in the VIP tent. “They had their own bathrooms and showers, which were cleaner than the other ones and didn’t have lines.”

Themed runs have become a popular way to raise money. This year’s Warrior Dash raised more than $4 million for the hospital.

The Color Run, a national race that benefits different regional charities, covers runners in colored powder as they pass through various stations.

Last month, Miami’s Color Run benefitted the J.A.M. Foundation, an organization that works toward open communication about teen suicide.

“I think the money goes to a good cause, and it’s really fun to go with friends,” said sophomore Kathy Lee, who ran in the race. “Color Run is not a normal 5K. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime thing.”

Sophomore Phillip Chan said he thinks charity runs are a fun way to get people out to raise money.

“It allows people to stay healthy and exercise, while providing for a greater cause in the community,” Chan said. “I would love to participate in one in the future.”

Some people, like senior Joshua Lonthair, have even made a hobby out of these races.

“I do 5Ks in general because it’s a good way to get out and have fun with a group of people, and it keeps me active,” Lonthair said. “If you train like I do, you have a goal in mind, and it makes you feel good when you reach your goal … It’s uplifting for me.”

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...