Basketball, Sports

Defense clamps down in second half to secure win

Redshirt freshman guard Bishop Daniels elevates for a jumper during Friday’s game against Stetson. The Canes were able to turn the game around in the second half when the Miami defense shut down Stetson’s sharp 3-point shooters. The Canes won 87-79, marking their 20th consecutive victory in home openers.  Zach Beeker // Staff Photographer 

It was a tale of two halves when the Hurricanes opened their season with an 87-79 victory over the Stetson Hatters at the BankUnited Center Friday night.

The visitors led for most of the first half, shooting 46.7 percent from beyond the 3-point arc and holding the Canes to a 39.3 field goal percentage. The teams went into halftime tied 34-34, but Miami’s defense was unable to contain the Hatters’ long-range shooters.

“They’re an excellent 3-point shooting team,” coach Jim Larranaga said. “As strange as it seems, we can’t prepare for that because the guys who are starting are our best 3-point shooters, and the guys they go against are guys that don’t shoot the 3.”

The Canes turned the tide in the second half, shooting a whopping 63.6 percent from the field. Miami also clamped down on defense, holding the Hatters to 37.5 percent from long range.

Miami’s big men exploited their height advantage; centers Reggie Johnson (22 points, 11 rebounds) and Kenny Kadji (12 points, 12 rebounds) both recorded double-doubles.

“Their size gave us a lot of problems tonight,” Stetson coach Casey Alexander said. “All of the toughness stats, offensive rebounds for each team, the number of free throws that are taken for each team, you know, they kicked us by a large margin there. And size alone has a lot to do with that, but I think in the second half they wanted the ball more than we did.”

Sixth-year Hurricanes senior Julian Gamble, who played in his first regular season game under Larranaga after sitting out all of last year with an ACL injury, thinks the difference in the second half boiled down to execution.

“We talked about kind of buckling down and just getting back to what we know how to do, and sharing the ball more and just playing more of an up-tempo game,” Gamble said. “We had to try to keep them off the glass.”

With Durand Scott missing the game due to suspension, the Canes relied heavily on guard Bishop Daniels to fill the void. In his first game as a Hurricane, the North Carolina native played 21 minutes and contributed defensively with a game-high three steals.

“He did OK,” Gamble said. “I spoke to him before he got in. I told him that the game’s a lot faster than you think it is, and Bishop’s a fast dude. When we got in the game, the first dead ball, he’s like ‘Yo, this game is fast’. But after that he settled down.”

Miami is now 49-14 in season openers and has won 20 straight home openers. The Canes will travel to Fort Myers to face Florida Gulf Coast University at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

Patrick Riley

Contributing Sports Writer

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...