Basketball, Sports

Defense clamps down in second half to secure win

Redshirt freshman guard Bishop Daniels elevates for a jumper during Friday’s game against Stetson. The Canes were able to turn the game around in the second half when the Miami defense shut down Stetson’s sharp 3-point shooters. The Canes won 87-79, marking their 20th consecutive victory in home openers.  Zach Beeker // Staff Photographer 

It was a tale of two halves when the Hurricanes opened their season with an 87-79 victory over the Stetson Hatters at the BankUnited Center Friday night.

The visitors led for most of the first half, shooting 46.7 percent from beyond the 3-point arc and holding the Canes to a 39.3 field goal percentage. The teams went into halftime tied 34-34, but Miami’s defense was unable to contain the Hatters’ long-range shooters.

“They’re an excellent 3-point shooting team,” coach Jim Larranaga said. “As strange as it seems, we can’t prepare for that because the guys who are starting are our best 3-point shooters, and the guys they go against are guys that don’t shoot the 3.”

The Canes turned the tide in the second half, shooting a whopping 63.6 percent from the field. Miami also clamped down on defense, holding the Hatters to 37.5 percent from long range.

Miami’s big men exploited their height advantage; centers Reggie Johnson (22 points, 11 rebounds) and Kenny Kadji (12 points, 12 rebounds) both recorded double-doubles.

“Their size gave us a lot of problems tonight,” Stetson coach Casey Alexander said. “All of the toughness stats, offensive rebounds for each team, the number of free throws that are taken for each team, you know, they kicked us by a large margin there. And size alone has a lot to do with that, but I think in the second half they wanted the ball more than we did.”

Sixth-year Hurricanes senior Julian Gamble, who played in his first regular season game under Larranaga after sitting out all of last year with an ACL injury, thinks the difference in the second half boiled down to execution.

“We talked about kind of buckling down and just getting back to what we know how to do, and sharing the ball more and just playing more of an up-tempo game,” Gamble said. “We had to try to keep them off the glass.”

With Durand Scott missing the game due to suspension, the Canes relied heavily on guard Bishop Daniels to fill the void. In his first game as a Hurricane, the North Carolina native played 21 minutes and contributed defensively with a game-high three steals.

“He did OK,” Gamble said. “I spoke to him before he got in. I told him that the game’s a lot faster than you think it is, and Bishop’s a fast dude. When we got in the game, the first dead ball, he’s like ‘Yo, this game is fast’. But after that he settled down.”

Miami is now 49-14 in season openers and has won 20 straight home openers. The Canes will travel to Fort Myers to face Florida Gulf Coast University at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

Patrick Riley

Contributing Sports Writer

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...