Cast energy leads popular musical to success

Laughter filled the Hillel theater as Charlie Brown and his friends discussed the events of a championship baseball game gone wrong.

Under the direction of Jason Mulligan and Justin John Moniz, QuantUM Entertainment’s You’re A Good Man Charlie Brown achieves everything the popular “Peanuts” comic strip would expect it to accomplish. Charlie Brown is the organization’s second performance of the academic school year. Thursday was opening night.

The play opens with the title song as Charlie Brown (Seth Reder) stands center stage as his friends give their opinions of him. On this particular day, his friends are all calling him a “good man,” and he decides to find out exactly how to become a good person.

Reder portrayed the title character well, incorporating all aspects of the typical Charlie Brown persona and adding a few surprising character twists of his own.

As the play progressed, the cast’s energy was palpable. Their ability to blend vocally and interact during the show’s most notable scenes was impressive. Though the show had some minor technical difficulties, the actors carried the story well, leading the audience through an exciting musical journey.

Lucy Van Pelt, played by Taylor Powell, stole the show. Powell’s quirky additions to the classical role of a know-it-all child, added great character depth and allowed the audience to connect with her performance.

Likewise, Sally Brown (Mary Claire Curran) stood out as one of the top voices of the show. Her operatic style added a new dimension to her character and the show. She was often the anchor of the musical numbers, energizing the rest of the cast with her riffs.

You’re A Good Man Charlie Brown was a fascinating display of UM talent, especially when considering the roots of the organization.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...