Cast energy leads popular musical to success

Laughter filled the Hillel theater as Charlie Brown and his friends discussed the events of a championship baseball game gone wrong.

Under the direction of Jason Mulligan and Justin John Moniz, QuantUM Entertainment’s You’re A Good Man Charlie Brown achieves everything the popular “Peanuts” comic strip would expect it to accomplish. Charlie Brown is the organization’s second performance of the academic school year. Thursday was opening night.

The play opens with the title song as Charlie Brown (Seth Reder) stands center stage as his friends give their opinions of him. On this particular day, his friends are all calling him a “good man,” and he decides to find out exactly how to become a good person.

Reder portrayed the title character well, incorporating all aspects of the typical Charlie Brown persona and adding a few surprising character twists of his own.

As the play progressed, the cast’s energy was palpable. Their ability to blend vocally and interact during the show’s most notable scenes was impressive. Though the show had some minor technical difficulties, the actors carried the story well, leading the audience through an exciting musical journey.

Lucy Van Pelt, played by Taylor Powell, stole the show. Powell’s quirky additions to the classical role of a know-it-all child, added great character depth and allowed the audience to connect with her performance.

Likewise, Sally Brown (Mary Claire Curran) stood out as one of the top voices of the show. Her operatic style added a new dimension to her character and the show. She was often the anchor of the musical numbers, energizing the rest of the cast with her riffs.

You’re A Good Man Charlie Brown was a fascinating display of UM talent, especially when considering the roots of the organization.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

The singer, songwriter, actress, and entrepreneur will share insights and advice from her more than ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...