News Briefs – 11/8

Tournament

Now through Tuesday, students can register for the Wellness Center’s FIFA tournament, which is taking place on Wednesday starting at 6 p.m. For more information, call the intramural hotline at 305-284-8501 or email tsoria@miami.edu.

Veterans Day

Commemorate Veterans Day at the 2012 Veterans Day Tribute on Monday from 10 to 10:30 a.m. on the Rock. President Donna E. Shalala will be present and joined by the Student Veterans Organization, faculty and staff veterans, and the Color Guard.  RSVP by calling 305-284-5478 or emailing mherris@miami.edu.

Hope Tree

Holiday Hope Tree is UM’s largest and longest-running holiday toy drive. Students can brighten a child’s holiday with a donation that would benefit kids from infants up the teenagers under 17. Gifts must be new, unwrapped and age appropriate. Angel cards are available at the UC Info Desk during the month of November.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...