Election Day full of surprises

This Election Day, I had the opportunity to wait in a four-hour line with my family. I stood alongside my mom, dad and 18-year-old brother to vote for the next president of the United States.

Nearly 25 years ago, my parents lived in a country where their basic rights were suppressed by an authoritative government. My grandfather, who passed away three weeks ago, served as a political prisoner in Cuba for refusing to comply with a communist regime.

I do believe he would’ve been proud to see our entire family cast their ballots.

My grandparents came to the United States to seek a better life, where their freedoms would neither be suppressed nor questioned.

Had my grandparents not decided to make the big move, I would have been stuck in a country where pieces like this could only be born in thought, and not executed by action. Today, as a first-generation college student, I could vote for whomever I want without fear of being silenced or persecuted.

And, in a country where freedom and democracy guide our policies, I think any figure elected will work to continue to uphold the principles our nation was founded on.

It doesn’t matter who was elected president, because he will certainly swear to uphold the same Constitution that was drafted 200 years ago.

On Tuesday night, I sat in a room of nearly 200 students and members of the UM community to observe the status of the elections. Several professors spoke about the process and the respect needed for people who had a divided opinion on the issues and candidates. I was proud to be a UM student, studying political science, learning about the process.

Election Day was full of surprises, and I was proud to be an American on such a historical and patriotic day.

Stephanie Parra is a junior majoring in journalism and political science. 

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...