V's Take

Dear V: Closed legs, but an open relationship

My boyfriend and I have been in an open relationship for two months now, but I never use my opportunity to hook up with other people. My boyfriend is bisexual, and he always describes his experiences with various girls. I can’t stand this, and I always get jealous and frustrated when I hear about his other experiences. Should I give up on this relationship or call him out?

Sincerely,

The jealous boyfriend

Dear Wish That Was Me,

Why in the world would you agree to an open relationship if you’re not going to use it properly?!  He’s basically using you so that he always has someone to hook up with without limiting himself to just you, and that is in no way fair.

So grow some balls and tell him you’re upset, or start having sex with other people, too.

If given the chance to mess around and you still stick to just him, an open relationship isn’t for you.   It sounds like the longer you stay in it as open, the more you’ll get hurt. So get out, or get serious.

This isn’t some cheesy romantic comedy.  He’s not going to appear with flowers after you’ve gotten upset and tell you how much he loves you and how you were the only one who ever meant anything.  You’re not Jennifer Aniston.

But given the fact that he keeps mentioning his other hookups, maybe he wants you to get jealous. Maybe he’s just testing you to see if you care. So tell him how you feel.  It is an open relationship after all, so be open.

It won’t magically fix everything. Contrary to popular belief, I’m no miracle worker.  But if you two spend a little more time talking about feelings and a little less time hooking up, things might start to turn in your favor.

So don’t give up on it without talking first.  Jealousy means you really like him, so give it a shot before kicking him to the curb.  The worst that could happen is he decides not to get serious and you’re given the chance to find another guy who will actually treat you properly.

Oh, I guess that doesn’t sound so bad after all.

Also, if your boyfriend is hooking up with “various girls,” I might want to get “various STD tests.”

Advice Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...