Red Bull Flugtag gives students wings

The UM Engineers won people’s choice for their flying craft by getting 6,369 out of more than 25,000 text message votes. Nick Gangemi // Staff Photographer

Students from the College of Engineering, covered in colored body paint, wings and beaks, pushed an Angry Birds-themed aircraft off a 30-foot pier at Bayfront Park during the third annual Red Bull Flugtag event.

The crowd in Downtown Miami roared as team pilot Thien Tran, who sat on the creatively designed flight machine, flew the craft 36 feet before it took a dive into the water.

Flugtag – German for “flying day” – is an event in which contestants build their own aircrafts or gliders, perform a skit based on their themes and then push their structures off a pier to see if they fly.

Saturday’s competition was the third time that UM’s American Society of Mechanical Engineers team has participated in Red Bull Flugtag. Though the winning team successfully flew more than 100 feet farther than UM’s team, the engine Angry Birds machine won the People’s Choice Award at the event.

The UM students competed under the name “Hurricane Engineers’ Angry Birds” and based their contraption on the popular mobile video game.

“We wanted something that people would recognize, that they liked and is fun as well,” said Tran, who is majoring in mechanical engineering.

The team built a two-story aircraft with a wooden frame, and included a “bad piggie” face on the front along with other designs from the ubiquitous game. Every flight machine in the competition also had to have a seat for the pilot.

Before taking flight, the group simulated the video game, using a slingshot to fling birds toward the “bad piggie” – the aircraft.

Teams were judged based on flight distance, creativity and showmanship by a panel of local and national celebrities. The judges included Adam Kuperstein of NBC 6, Audrina Patridge of “The Hills” and professional surfer Evan Geiselman.

This year’s competitors displayed a wide range of themes. There was a “Wizard of Oz” spinoff with a bearded male Dorothy, and a presidential dance-off complete with characters representing both 2012 candidates and an aircraft modeled after Air Force One.

Although UM’s team predicted the Angry Birds aircraft would fly 60 to 90 feet, it traveled 36.

“There may have been a snag on one of the lines when it actually tipped over, so it pulled the tail down just a little bit and that threw it off balance,” said Tom Knight, team captain and mechanical engineering major.

The craft was running well on the pier but took a nosedive once it actually pushed off. None of that mattered, though, when approximately 6,500 spectators voted for the team via text.

“It was Twitter, Facebook, the backing of the school and, most importantly, the backing of the College of Engineering,” Knight said.

Mitch Phillips, crew member and aerospace engineering major, felt his team did a great job and was satisfied with the People’s Choice Award.

“This is the best award anyway,” he said.

Sam Abbassi

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...