News Briefs-11/5

Before hitting the books for finals, check out these upcoming Year of the Humanities events. 

BookTalk

The final BookTalk presentations at Books & Books in Coral Gables will feature history professor Michael Miller and Associate Professor of English Brenna Munro. Miller will discuss his recent book, titled “Europe and the Maritime World: A Twentieth-Century History,” which focuses on a new understanding of globalization over the past century. His talk will be held at 8 p.m. Wednesday. Registration is not necessary.

Munro will explore South Africa after apartheid and the effect of adopting a constitution to include gays and lesbians as full citizens in “South Africa and the Dream of Love to Come: Queer Sexuality and the Struggle for Freedom.” Munro’s talk will occur at 8 p.m. on Nov. 28. For more information, visit humanities.miami.edu/calendar.

Art Basel

Laura Knott, a curatorial associate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Museum, will give a presentation on Art Basel Miami Beach. Titled “Art Basel Miami Beach and the Culture of the Art Fair,” the lecture is about the past, current and future trends at the artists and galleries at Art Basel. Knott will speak on Nov. 29 at 4:30 p.m. at the Lowe Art Museum. Registration is currently closed for the event, but a form can be completed online at humanities.miami.edu/calendar to land a spot on the wait-list.

Temple Grandin

Temple Grandin, professor of animal science at Colorado State University, will discuss her experiences with autism in her presentation “Different Kinds of Minds.” She is a recognized individual with autism, who has written and published four books,  and appeared in news outlets. She will speak at the BankUnited Center at 7 p.m. on Jan. 31. For more information and to register, visit humanities.miami.edu/calendar.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Apollo 11 astronaut’s moonwalk, which took place 50 years ago Saturday, is remembered by members of ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

The ITA released Thursday its academic accolades for the 2018-19 season and the University of Miami ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...