News Briefs-11/5

Before hitting the books for finals, check out these upcoming Year of the Humanities events. 

BookTalk

The final BookTalk presentations at Books & Books in Coral Gables will feature history professor Michael Miller and Associate Professor of English Brenna Munro. Miller will discuss his recent book, titled “Europe and the Maritime World: A Twentieth-Century History,” which focuses on a new understanding of globalization over the past century. His talk will be held at 8 p.m. Wednesday. Registration is not necessary.

Munro will explore South Africa after apartheid and the effect of adopting a constitution to include gays and lesbians as full citizens in “South Africa and the Dream of Love to Come: Queer Sexuality and the Struggle for Freedom.” Munro’s talk will occur at 8 p.m. on Nov. 28. For more information, visit humanities.miami.edu/calendar.

Art Basel

Laura Knott, a curatorial associate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Museum, will give a presentation on Art Basel Miami Beach. Titled “Art Basel Miami Beach and the Culture of the Art Fair,” the lecture is about the past, current and future trends at the artists and galleries at Art Basel. Knott will speak on Nov. 29 at 4:30 p.m. at the Lowe Art Museum. Registration is currently closed for the event, but a form can be completed online at humanities.miami.edu/calendar to land a spot on the wait-list.

Temple Grandin

Temple Grandin, professor of animal science at Colorado State University, will discuss her experiences with autism in her presentation “Different Kinds of Minds.” She is a recognized individual with autism, who has written and published four books,  and appeared in news outlets. She will speak at the BankUnited Center at 7 p.m. on Jan. 31. For more information and to register, visit humanities.miami.edu/calendar.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...