Miami hotspots to spice up date night

In every relationship, there comes a time when the dates get stale. A couple can only go out for so many dinners and movies before they lose interest. It’s time to get creative, especially for first dates.

If you’re having trouble coming up with ideas of your own, here are a few easy starters that will help you keep away from the boring coffee meet-up.

Ideas for the First Date

First impressions are always important. You don’t want your first date to get lost among a sea of Starbucks rendezvous. Instead, try one of Coral Gables’ or Miami’s fantastic independent bakeries. La Provence offers traditional French pastries in a casual, non-stuffy atmosphere. If you’re in the mood to trek into the city, Icebox Cafe in South Beach offers the best cakes in the Miami area, and it is within walking distance of many shops and art galleries that are great to explore afterward.

For a more active first date, try bowling. Splitsville at Sunset Place has an enjoyable atmosphere and delicious food and drinks. Plus, a bowling alley fosters better conversation than a movie theater, the usual go-to first date locale.

La Provence is located at 2300 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Coral Gables. Icebox Cafe is located at 1657 Michigan Ave., Miami. Splitsville is located at 5701 Sunset Drive, Miami.

Showing Consistent Affection

Once you’ve been with someone for a while, the time comes to treat your partner to a special night out. However, on a college student’s budget, it can be difficult to pull off a swanky dinner. For history and art lovers, a tour of Deering Estate is appropriate. Enjoy a gourmet picnic together by the historic house’s beautiful gardens.

If you’re open to a more traditional meal but want to avoid the dinner crowd, try a Sunday brunch.  From the luxurious and lauded brunch at the Nikki Beach Club to more reasonably-priced meals at Angelique Euro Cafe or George’s on Sunset, there’s a perfect option for everyone.  Or, take your partner for afternoon tea at the always-classy Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables.

Deering Estate is located at 16701 SW 72nd Ave., Miami. Nikki Beach Club is located at 1 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach. Angelique Euro Cafe is located at 117 Miracle Mile, Miami. George’s on Sunset is located at 1549 Sunset Drive, South Miami. The Biltmore Hotel is located at 1200 Anastasia Ave., Coral Gables.

Keeping the Spark Ablaze

Once a relationship has started, sometimes it’s a little hard to keep the ball rolling. It’s a great idea to try something new together or try to learn a new skill. Take one of the cooking classes offered at the Wellness Center. They’re open to people of all skill levels at reasonable costs.

If you want a good laugh, check out Miami Improv in the Grove. The venue generally features a new comedian each week and holds shows at 8:30 and 10:45 p.m. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

And for the adventurous type, a boat tour around Biscayne Bay can make for a fun, touristy date. You’ll get a great look at famous residences on Star Island, Fisher Island and more. Don’t forget to wave to Shaq as you pass his wildly extravagant mansion. Tours last 90 minutes and depart multiple times each day from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.

For more information about Wellness Center classes, visit miami.edu/sa/index.php/wellness_center. Miami Improv is located at 3390 Mary St., Coconut Grove. To book a Biscayne Bay Sightseeing Cruise, go to viator.com.

Blake Weil

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

With 102 events already on their calendar, new initiatives are also on the horizon for the Universit ...

Economic expert Paulo Leme analyzes last week’s economic downturn. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...

Canes legend Michael Irvin will be attendance for the event the night before the Miami-Florida game. ...