Time to sift through the lies

Less than two weeks from Election Day, it is frustrating for voters to sift through the lies spewing from candidates as they appeal to voters by blatantly lying and changing their platforms. Yet, as responsible citizens of the U.S., it is our civic duty to cast a properly educated vote.

Lies were present in abundance thanks to former Gov. Mitt Romney during the third presidential debate.  During the segment on the Syrian war, Romney began by misinforming the public while expressing his concern for the relationship between Syria and Iran’s developing nuclear program.

“Syria is Iran’s only ally in the Arab world, it’s their route to the sea,” he said.

Last time I checked, Iran was surrounded by the Caspian Sea, the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman, all suitable paths for traveling by boat.

President Obama refused to turn a blind eye on these continuing misperceptions and highlighted some of Romney’s refashioned policies. He initially opposed a timetable in Afghanistan, but now he’s for it.

He would have ended the war in the Iraq, but he now thinks we should have 20,000 more troops there. He would have also ordered a kill on Osama bin Laden, but he wouldn’t have moved heaven and earth to get him, and he would have also asked Pakistan for their permission.

However, it wouldn’t have been a presidential debate if Romney hadn’t bragged at least twice about the fact that Massachusetts’s school system ranks No. 1 in the nation. As a Maryland public school student of 13 years it brings me great pride to inform you, Mr. Romney, that Maryland has been ranked No. 1 in Education Week for the past four years.

Let’s get the facts straight.

Jordan Coyne is a freshman majoring in journalism and international studies. 

Jordan Coyne

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...