‘Cloud Atlas’ an intricate, enlightening journey

The best word to describe “Cloud Atlas” is big: big stars, big running time, big budget, big ideas, big ambition. There’s even too much movie to be contained in a typical trailer – an extended, almost six-minute version online is the only real way to get a grasp of what this film is all about.

Written and directed by the Wachowski siblings (responsible for “The Matrix” trilogy), the $100-million movie is adapted from the novel of the same name by David Mitchell. “Cloud Atlas” is not easily contained in a two-sentence summary, but here’s a shot: Six storylines from different periods of time, varying from the 1800s to a distant future of an unknown date, show how people’s lives are always connected and how certain universal themes affect us all.

The cuts between stories are mostly flawless, allowing audiences to process a leap of hundreds of years as if only mere moments. What’s possibly more amazing is that the same lead actors, including Tom Hanks and Halle Berry, play a different character in every time period, sometimes requiring extensive Hollywood magic to do so. These worlds range from a deathly ill lawyer traveling across the Pacific Ocean in 1849 to a genetically modified laborer struggling to break free from systematic oppression in the 22nd century.

Clocking in at almost three hours, there is still never a dull moment. The stakes are often life and death and the fate of every character seems to be equally compelling.

The film is a puzzle that demands multiple viewings to piece it all together, but only one viewing to appreciate the emotional journey. It’s at times funny, at times haunting, and eventually enlightening. While it may not answer the meaning of life, go into the theater with an open mind and a few hours to spare, and one thing is for certain: “Cloud Atlas” will move you.

Trevor Maxim

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...