News Briefs – 10/29

Jewish voters

Ira Sheskin, director of the Jewish Demography Project at the Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies, will give a lecture called “The U.S. Presidential Election – How Are Jews Voting?” Tuesday at 8 p.m. at the Miller Center Auditorium in the Merrick Building. Sheskin will discuss the issues that drive the Jewish vote and why the demographic is so important. To RSVP, email ccjs@miami.edu or call 305-284-6882.

Gender issues

The Women’s Commission of the University of Miami is hosting a lunch and learn session about women’s issues in the 2012 election Thursday at 12:30 p.m. in the UC Ballrooms. Louise Davidson-Schmich, associate professor of political science, will be a special guest. Seating is limited and on a first come, first served basis. To RSVP, email Aruna Airan at aairan@miami.edu.

Momentum 2.0

UM has surpassed the $1 billion mark in its Momentum 2.0 fundrasing campaign, putting the university on track to reach the campaign’s goal of $1.6 billion by 2016. The university had already raised $906 million when the campaign was publicly launched in February.  The $1 billion raised to date comes from more than 100,000 donors. The money has established endowed scholarships, endowed chairs and professorships, and new and renovated facilities.

Songwriters

Cat5 Music Publishing is hosting the fifth annual Songwriter’s Showcase at 8 p.m. Tuesday at Gusman Concert Hall. The show is free, but a ticket is required for entry. Tickets are sold out. However, guests who still want to come can show up at the door at 7:45 p.m. the day of show to claim empty seats. For more information, visit facebook.com/events/443045625732147/.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...