Dress to impress this Halloween

It’s that time of year again, folks. Time to bob for apples, carve your spooky jack-o-lanterns and indulge in your favorite treats. On All Hallows’ Eve at the U, students will bring out all the stops to show off their most creative costumes; whether you are looking to pull off a classic character or want to dress up as a TV reality star, there are always tricks to complete your look.

You can never go wrong with the retro sailor. This ‘40s-inspired look with a modern twist can be put together with a great pair of blue high-waisted shorts, a red striped shirt and a white bandana. Add a white sailor hat to top off your old-fashioned get-up. But remember that rain manages to make an appearance every year. Runny mascara and the Grove do not make a great mix. Waterproof mascara is definitely a smart investment. Don’t forget to wear poppy red on your lips to finish up your sailor look.

Disney-themed outfits are always cute for pictures, but there are plenty of new costumes to take advantage of this Halloween, like Katy Perry’s classic “California Gurl.” A blue wig and a Candy Dots dress are always a fun choice. If you’re feeling even more daring, show off your inner Lady Gaga. A risky move? Clearly. But you’ll look fierce. One of her more modest looks is the skin-tight black jumpsuit with the exaggerated shoulder piece and high-heeled boots. That will be a show-stopping outfit for your fellow monsters.

Now for the fellas, the 1920’s gangster costume is always a favorite. You can pull off this John Dillinger-inspired look with a dark pinstripe suit, a white collared shirt and a great pair of loafers. Top it off with a classy fedora. You can also model your mobster outfit after Mr. Tony Soprano. A black, short-sleeved collared shirt, black pants, black loafers, a black leather jacket and a toy cigar will definitely help you achieve the look of this modern racketeer.

For the boys who like to put a little more effort into their costumes, it is time to show off your favorite superhero. You can dress up as a recently celebrated hero like Batman or Spiderman. If you’re into group costumes, the Avengers could be a great idea for you and your pals.

Courtney Odza

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...