Cinema department creates spooky scavenger hunt

Jessica Carriere ran a zombie themed race with her friend, Vanessa Maranchello. in Amelia Earhert park in Hieleah on Sunday morning. Danielle Ungerman // Contributing Photographer

This Halloween, the School of Communication’s cinema and interactive media department has decided to bring students something different: “Screamisodes,” an interactive treasure hunt.

The premise is simple. A UM student’s girlfriend has been kidnapped by a deranged killer. Using their smart phones, players have to track him down in a game of cat and mouse. After getting the initial clues online, each clue will lead you to a QR code, each of which will play a short video directing you to the next one. From what the website shows, the scares promise to be more than half-hearted.

On screamisodes.com, visitors can now watch a promo video showing the victim’s kidnapping. Participants who successfully complete the scavenger hunt will be entered into a drawing for a new iPod Touch.

The scavenger hunt is also serving academic purposes. Students in the School of Communication have been able to test both their film and game-making abilities through the project. The technology has a number of future uses as well, according to Ed Talavera, head of the department of cinema.

“When we actually put the elements together and started testing it, it was really fun,” Talavera said. “We’ve got so many possible uses for it: students visiting the university, freshmen learning the campus.”

The Department of Cinema and Interactive Media is new to the university and hopes to play an active role in on-campus life.

“We want to see how to join cinema and technology, and also join some gaming to it,” Talavera said. “This is the perfect real-life example of this. The students are super excited.”

Freshman Matthew Clinkenbeard said he’s looking forward to participating in “Screamisodes.”

“It sounds like a lot of fun, and something different to do,” he said. “I’m ready to have the bejeezus scared out of me.”

If You Go
What: Screamisodes
Where: UM’s Coral Gables campus
When: Wednesday from 7 to 9 p.m.
Cost: Free and open to UM students only
For More Info: screamisodes.com

Blake Weil

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Throughout campus, students expressed gratitude that they can be at UM and visit family during the T ...

Vector-borne specialist John Beier tells us what we should know about the illness. ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...