Football, Sports

Running back Eduardo Clements out for season with injury

The Hurricanes had hoped to use the bye week to recover and rest up for the final four games of the regular season.

Not all went according to plan.

The team announced on Saturday morning that junior running back Eduardo Clements will miss the remainder of the season with an undisclosed injury. Though the exact nature of the injury was not revealed, it was one that Clements suffered last week against Florida State.

Though he will not return to the field this year, head coach Al Golden remains optimistic that Clements will make a full recovery and hopefully be ready to return in the spring.

“I feel really badly for Eduardo. He’s a heart and soul kid,” Golden said following practice on Saturday. “We’ll miss his toughness and his leadership, but he has to stay positive.”

Offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch shared similar sentiments, while mentioning that the other running backs will have to step up in his absence.

“It’s disappointing for him. Injuries are personal and I feel bad for [Clements],” he said. “Obviously it’s disappointing for the team because he was such a valuable part of our third downs, a valuable part of our program, and he’s a great leader.”

At the moment only senior Mike James and freshman Duke Johnson are listed on the depth chart at running back, but both Golden and Fisch confirmed that redshirt freshman Dallas Crawford will be listed as the third-string back.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...