Cuban-American artist to give presentation at Lowe

On Oct. 25, award-winning Cuban-American artist Luis Cruz Azaceta will visit UM to give a presentation covering the span of his work over the last four decades.

The artist is known for his reoccurring theme of rediscovering his Cuban identity through brightly colored masterpieces. At times he has also used mixed media in the form of both sculpture or a work bordered by a frame.

Azaceta was born in Cuba, but immigrated to the United States at 18. He found a number of factory jobs in New York City in the 1960s, before discovering his talent and enrolling in the The School of Visual Arts. From there, he rose to prominence, parlaying the shifting identity of a newly relocated immigrant and the integration of both new and old, in his art. He says that being an artist allows him “the freedom to express [himself]and communicate through [his]art about our human condition.”

Azaceta has had his work showcased all around the world, from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York to the Pan American Art Projects in Miami. The Lowe Art Museum has been lucky enough to have acquired a few of his pieces in the permanent collection, one of which is currently on display.

Throughout the presentation, he will discuss “very early works up to the most recent works and will talk about [his]experiences and journey through the art world,” he said.

He might even mention one of his favorite series, the “Subway Series.”

“This was a very early series of works that opened doors for me to be represented in an important gallery in New York City,” Azaceta said.

However, he also holds his most recent work in high regard.

“New work challenges me to learn new things in the process,” he said.

Yet Azaceta does not work in a vacuum and is eager to share advice with the next generation.

“Work hard and follow your instincts. Pay attention to your inner voice and your surroundings – this will help you formulate what you want to say through your art,” the artist said.

The special presentation is co-sponsored by the Lowe Art Museum and “Taking Flight: The Year of Humanities and Art at the University of Miami,” and is free for UM students and Lowe members. There is a $10 fee for non-members.

The presentation will take place at 7 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium at UM’s School of Business. After the presentation, there will be a reception in the lobby of the Lowe Art Museum until 9:30 p.m.

Marchesa Bergman

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...