Cuban-American artist to give presentation at Lowe

On Oct. 25, award-winning Cuban-American artist Luis Cruz Azaceta will visit UM to give a presentation covering the span of his work over the last four decades.

The artist is known for his reoccurring theme of rediscovering his Cuban identity through brightly colored masterpieces. At times he has also used mixed media in the form of both sculpture or a work bordered by a frame.

Azaceta was born in Cuba, but immigrated to the United States at 18. He found a number of factory jobs in New York City in the 1960s, before discovering his talent and enrolling in the The School of Visual Arts. From there, he rose to prominence, parlaying the shifting identity of a newly relocated immigrant and the integration of both new and old, in his art. He says that being an artist allows him “the freedom to express [himself]and communicate through [his]art about our human condition.”

Azaceta has had his work showcased all around the world, from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York to the Pan American Art Projects in Miami. The Lowe Art Museum has been lucky enough to have acquired a few of his pieces in the permanent collection, one of which is currently on display.

Throughout the presentation, he will discuss “very early works up to the most recent works and will talk about [his]experiences and journey through the art world,” he said.

He might even mention one of his favorite series, the “Subway Series.”

“This was a very early series of works that opened doors for me to be represented in an important gallery in New York City,” Azaceta said.

However, he also holds his most recent work in high regard.

“New work challenges me to learn new things in the process,” he said.

Yet Azaceta does not work in a vacuum and is eager to share advice with the next generation.

“Work hard and follow your instincts. Pay attention to your inner voice and your surroundings – this will help you formulate what you want to say through your art,” the artist said.

The special presentation is co-sponsored by the Lowe Art Museum and “Taking Flight: The Year of Humanities and Art at the University of Miami,” and is free for UM students and Lowe members. There is a $10 fee for non-members.

The presentation will take place at 7 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium at UM’s School of Business. After the presentation, there will be a reception in the lobby of the Lowe Art Museum until 9:30 p.m.

Marchesa Bergman

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...