Canes alumna works as engineer on Mars rover

Erisa Hines found her dream job in the stars just 10 years after graduating from the College of Engineering.

Hines is an engineer working on the Rover Curiosity Project, a division of the NASA Mars Science Laboratory, based in Pasadena, Calif. She focuses on safely guiding the spacecraft during its 354-million-mile journey to the Red Planet.

“It’s an extremely exciting and somewhat unique engineering opportunity,” she said.

She was recently the keynote speaker for the School of Engineering’s Homecoming breakfast last Friday at the Newman Alumni Center.

“We felt that Erisa was a wonderful representative of the spirit of our students and alumni,” said Ann Helmers, director of career services and alumni relations at the school. “She was an extremely active student.”

Hines graduated in 2002 with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) and a concentration in aerospace engineering.

“I only had her as a student during her freshman year,” Assistant Dean Ram Narasimhan said. “But she was a great student and a very kind person.”

Hines went on to attend the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Mass., where she completed a dual masters’ program in aeronautics and astronautics.

Her academic experiences then paved the way for the emotional moments before the rover’s landing.

“A week or so before the landing, one of the project managers was encouraging us as a team to be prepared for landing night emotionally,” Hines said. “He said the moment of landing would be ephemeral. And he’s right.”

With the rover safely on Mars, Hines is now in charge of upgrading its mobility system that will hopefully allow it to move more independently.

“We hope to start using it in the next few months,” Hines said. “This will become more important as we decide to make faster progress to our primary science target: the base of Mt. Sharp in Gale Crater.”

The Curiosity Rover will remain on Mars for about two years, trying to find signs that the planet can support life.

Emelia Nunn

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...