Staff editorial: Armstrong does not live strong

Before the former cyclist Lance Armstrong retired, he was accused of injecting his body with several performance-enhancing drugs including steroids, human growth hormone, testosterone and the red blood cell booster EPO.

Armstrong continuously denied the accusations, despite overwhelming evidence. On Monday, he was stripped of everything that ever made him live strong – his seven Tour de France titles, his endorsements and his reputation.

But, this shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone.

Athletes and celebrities alike are held to higher standards. They are frequently in the limelight and many individuals look up to them as role models, aspirations and, sometimes, even heroes.

But beneath the multi-million dollar salaries, glamorous homes, lavish vacations and designer wardrobes, these icons are human beings who will make mistakes just like average people.

Yet there is something that sets these superstars apart: They have an image to uphold.

Armstrong once faced life-threatening testicular cancer, but he continued pedaling to the finish line, which led him to create the Livestrong Foundation, a nonprofit organization that provides support to people with cancer.

All over the country, fans bought millions of yellow bracelets to support his cause, and cancer patients looked to him for encouragement. He was the light during their times of darkness. Now, that light is gone.

Even people who didn’t have cancer admired the man for never giving up on his dream and fighting for his life the way he did. But no one knew that when the spotlight wasn’t shining on him, he was shooting up, and forcing his teammates to do the same.

Now, many are forced to reconsider their thoughts of Lance Armstrong – a winner turned loser from one day to the next. Taking back everything he ever worked for doesn’t change the fact that he won the title seven times, but it changes the glory that came with his achievements.

He earned his fame, but he didn’t deserve it. Cheating doesn’t make winners.

Students: Learn from Livestrong. Integrity is all we’ve got. Take it with you to the finish line. 

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...