Halloween tricks and treats around Miami

As Halloween quickly approaches, costumes are the main concern for most. But where should you go to toil and trouble (hopefully only a little) on All Hallows Eve and the weekend prior?

There will certainly be frat parties and bars serving black witches’ brew and neon orange cocktails galore. The Grove will certainly host its annual lively and rambunctious Halloween festivities that typically bring more than 50,000 costumed celebrators to celebrate.

Yet many Miami residents also trek to Orlando for Halloween Horror Nights. The annual event changes the theme park from tame to treacherous with ghastly goblins, skeletons and ghouls, chasing the brave through spooky haunted houses.

But Miami has much more to offer than those typical treats.

House of Horrors at Miami International Mall

For a chilling amusement park closer to home, House of Horrors fits the bill. Although smaller than Horror Nights, vampires, Greek goddesses and nearly any other characters in costume are welcome; just don’t wear masks or face paint. The park features carnival rides and musical acts, and admission costs half that of Universal. The carnival opens at 6 p.m., but the Haunted House opens at sundown.

Now until Wednesday

$23 every night

6 p.m. to midnight

Miami International Mall (East parking lot)

1455 NW 107th Ave., Doral

Houseofhorrorpark.com

Halloween at Deering Estate

If you’re in the spirit for a ghost tour, visit Deering Estate for a paranormal experience. Each tour will discuss the spooky evidence and spine-chilling occurrences that were found by investigators on the estate.

“Spookover” is another great option. Visitors can investigate the estate’s many supernatural events. You’re welcome to discover and record the paranormal presences.

“Be Your Own Investigator” Ghost Tour

Thursday

7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

$25

“Spookover”

Friday

11 p.m. to 4 a.m.

$65

16701 SW 72nd Ave., Miami

305-235-1668

deeringestate.org

Trick-or-Treating on Miracle Mile

Embrace your inner kid for the night and trick-or-treat along Miracle Mile. If you’re looking for something to do before you get your party on, or simply do something without being carded, you can walk or drive over to the Mile.

Get dressed in your most tasteful costume and go from shop to shop for free candy. The festivities will also feature kid-scary storytelling, music and other surprises. Bring Fido for a doggie costume contest or grab a few friends to remember the night in the photo booths.

Wednesday

Free

Coral Way (between Douglas Road and LeJeune Road)

Halloween “Sundowner” at Vizcaya

Celebrate Halloween at the historic Vizcaya Museum and Gardens. From the manicured gardens to the yacht dock, any princess or vampire will find themselves perfectly at home. The 21+ event only has one requirement: costumed guests. Drinks, music, dancing and a costume contest will set the night. All proceeds go to the Vizcayans, a nonprofit that funds the preservation, renovation, advancement and avocation of Vizcaya Museum and Gardens.

Saturday

8 p.m. to midnight

3251 S. Miami Ave., Miami

305-856-4866

halloweenatvizcaya.com

Marchesa Bergman

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...