Strong faith does not always impact college experience

Being a  Christian in college is hard, but not impossible.

When I came to college last year I gave my life back to Christ and the subsequent responses from some of my peers were interesting, to say the least.

The one response that stuck out to me the most was, “How can you be so smart and still believe in God?”

That really threw me off because I think there is a place for both faith and intellect.

Sometimes students feel that when they’re in college they have to downplay or hide their faith altogether because colleges have the reputation of promoting reason above all.

Anything that cannot be proved by a formula or other data is dismissed as stuff of legend, myth or just a really good story.

There is nothing wrong with being an intellectual, but it is possible to succeed academically and graduate with your faith intact.

There are numerous Christian groups on campus, and churches around UM to accommodate students from various denominations.

These churches and student organizations can provide a support base and help you to create lasting friendships with like-minded people.

In Miami, walking by faith and living your life according to the word may not be the most popular decision, but part of keeping your faith while in school is the willingness to dare to be different.

I have gotten numerous event invites that I have turned down because I was going to be at church or doing something church-related.

I don’t regret it, because I don’t feel as though I’m missing out.

I would be lying if I said it was always easy, but it is possible to have the best of both worlds – a top notch education and a personal and sincere relationship with God.

Taylor Duckett is a sophomore majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Throughout campus, students expressed gratitude that they can be at UM and visit family during the T ...

Vector-borne specialist John Beier tells us what we should know about the illness. ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...