Corporate HR personnel to investigate dismissal of Chartwells employee

Miss Betty is hugged by one of her student supporters Wednesday morning. Monica Herndon // Assistant Photo Editor

Chartwells will send corporate human resource personnel to the University of Miami on Monday to review Betty Asbury’s dismissal, said Nawara Alawa, Student Government (SG) president.

Asbury was dismissed on Oct. 10. According to Asbury, this occurred the day after a man walked past her cashier post in the Hecht/Stanford Dining Hall without paying.

“I hope they say, ‘Betty, OK – we find you at no fault. You is to return back to work,’” Asbury said. “I want it to happen. I know it’s going to happen. I don’t see why it shouldn’t happen.”

Though no students approached SG about Asbury, Alawa believed this was a matter she needed to address as president.

“Let’s be real – it’s a little bit of a racy situation,” Alawa said. “There were rumors flying around.”

Alawa worked with Patricia Whitely, vice president for student affairs, to determine the appropriate course of action. Whitely and other senior leadership contacted Chartwells corporate executives directly to arrange for the investigation.

“Things are blurry on both sides, so an investigation is probably in order,” Alawa said. “We’ll see if termination was actually on proper grounds or not.”

Asbury sees the investigation as good news.

“I think this is wonderful,” she said. “It’s something I can look forward to – to coming back to the university, to coming back to work. Because I really need it.”

Asbury, a single mother, has 15 years of cashier experience in Miami. It takes her two paychecks to pay her mortgage, and she lives alone.

Philipp Schwind, who started a petition on change.org to reinstate Asburg, said he is grateful for both SG’s and Whitely’s help. However, he isn’t satisfied.

“This is the first step, but it’s nothing more than an announcement,” said Schwind, a fifth-year graduate student of philosophy. “At the same time, the question remains: Why did it happen? Why could it happen? Can it happen again? These are the questions that now come to the forefront.”

As of 11 p.m. Sunday, the petition had 2,732 signatures and 92  personal statements.

“It’s certainly not enough to simply reinstate Miss Betty,” Schwind said. “Her problem is just a symptom of a larger underlying problem. Chartwells can’t simply fire workers at will for no reason and then out of an act of crisis, reinstate them. These workers deserve protection.”

Students for a New Democracy (STAND) members and other students are planning events during the next three weeks to push for Asbury’s reinstatement. Depending on the results of the investigation, these students may deliver the petition to both Chartwells and UM next week.

Up-to-date information can be found on the Facebook group “Bring Betty Back.”

“I want to thank you guys for the love and support, and I will be back shortly,” Asbury said to applause and cheering at a meeting Friday evening with dozens of student supporters.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Allison Goodman

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...