News briefs – 10/18

Spanish Hour

A Spanish conversation hour will take place at noon Friday outside of Starbucks. All students who have taken Spanish classes above the 300-level are welcome to participate.

The discussion will be facilitated by Marelys Valencia, a graduate teaching assistant. To attend, RSVP at m.valencia5@umiami.edu.

Senior Portraits

The last day for seniors graduating in December 2012 or May 2013 to take pictures is Oct. 26.

To make an appointment, visit ibisyearbook.com. Underclassmen who wish to have their picture taken should visit the portrait site in the UC Lower Lounge.

Multicultural

The first international multicultural night will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. on Friday in the Flamingo Ballrooms.

The event is being hosted by the Directed Independent Language Studies (DILS) program. For more information, email dils@miami.edu.

Calendar

Monday: Registration appointments available on myUM

Oct. 25 – Last day to drop a course

Oct. 26 – Fall recess

Nov. 5 – Online registration for spring 2013 begins

Nov. 6 – Magna/summa theses due in Honors Program Office

Nov. 16 – Last day for graduate students to defend dissertation/thesis for fall 2012 graduation

Nov. 22-25 – Thanksgiving recess

Nov. 30 – Classes end

Alysha Khan may be contacted at akhan@themiamihurricane.com.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...