Don’t make excuses, reach for the stars

Last week, a man jumped from a capsule in the stratosphere, landed on his feet and then knelt on the ground after taking the risk of a lifetime.

Even though the sky hasn’t been the limit since Yuri Gagarin was the first man to enter space in 1961, the vast amount of opportunities available for everyone seem to be shrouded by fear.

Felix Baumgartner, the Austrian who took the jump, can take the leap from the stratosphere and break the sound barrier without knowing what health risks he’d face, or if he’d even land on the planet with his brain intact. If he can do that, then you can get up and face the future, fully equipped with your dreams and a plan to reach them.

And, if a man jumping from the stratosphere doesn’t motivate you, then pinch yourself because you’re probably dead.

Baumgartner’s jump from space demonstrates the numerous abilities and opportunities humans have at their disposal, some of which they have yet to discover. Today, companies are sponsoring people to reach their dreams and unearth unknowns, in the same fashion countries sponsored explorers in the 15th century. So, if you’re lacking financial support for your dreams, make like Christopher Columbus and find yourself a king and queen of Spain ­– or, walk to Toppel Career Center. Apply for a prestigious scholarship. Don’t let anything stop you, make no excuses and keep working until you reach your goal.

Baumgartner reached for the stars. You should, too.

Stephanie Parra is a junior majoring in journalism and political science. 

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...