News Briefs – 10/14

Course offerings

The course offerings for spring 2013 will be available to students beginning on Monday. Students can search for classes online using myUM. Registration appointments will be available on myUM Oct. 22. Registration will begin on Nov. 5.

Also, the last day to drop a class this semester is Oct. 25.

Dream career

Representatives from Dream Careers will be hosting information sessions as well as meeting with students for individual appointments on Monday. Dream Careers is an all-inclusive program that offers guaranteed internships in PR, advertising, film, television, marketing, radio, fashion and other fields in major cities around the world, including: New York, London, Los Angeles and Barcelona. The first information session is held at 11 a.m. in UC 241, and the second is at 1 p.m. in CIB 5063.

Open mic night

The USpeak Open Verse and Short Story Performance Series is hosting a reading by MFA and undergraduate alumni of the Creative Writing Program at 8 p.m. on Thursday at the Oasis Deli in the UC. The event will be emceed by Zach Hickman, managing editor of the Mangrove Literary Journal. USpeak will also spotlight audience members who share a page of their writing during USpeak’s Open Mic segments. Sign up begins when doors open at 7:30 p.m. The event is free and open to the public. For more information, visit miami.edu/uspeak.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...