Basketball, Sports

Practice begins with more experienced roster

File Photo

With basketball season around the corner, Reggie Johnson is healthy, in shape and confident.

If Miami’s senior center can stay that way, the Hurricanes will have a chance to do special things this season.

“We’re going to win big this year,” Johnson said. “I’m sorry if I sound cocky, but we’re going to win big. I think practices are harder than the games right now.”

Johnson has every right to be confident. The Hurricanes return nine scholarship players from the 2011-2012 roster that accounted for 80 percent of the Canes’ scoring. The only departures were guard Malcolm Grant, who is currently playing professionally in Cyprus, and swingman DeQuan Jones, who signed a training camp contract with the Orlando Magic.

Johnson is confident that this team, which tied for fourth in the conference last season, is ready to reach the next level.

“Our goal right now is to win the ACC,” he said. “We have to take small steps; nonconference, then conference, then postseason. Some of you probably think I’m crazy, but I’m telling you, we’re going to win big.”

Coach Jim Larranaga enters his second season with a seemingly more stable and healthy roster. The frontcourt, led by seniors Johnson and Kenny Kadji, will benefit from added depth, with 6-foot-10 dual forward/center Julian Gamble back from ACL surgery, along with junior Raphael Akpejiori and freshman Tonye Jekiri.

“I think Julian has impressed me as much or more than anybody on the team,” Larranaga said. “During the summer, he was in the weight room conditioning, getting stronger, and these last four  weeks he’s been very impressive running the floor, rebounding the basketball at both ends. He’s going to fit very much into our rotation.”

Sophomore Shane Larkin and senior Durand Scott lead the backcourt; the duo, when playing well, is as talented as any in the ACC. Larranaga believes Scott is capable of an exceptional season and will count on him for leadership on this experienced roster.

“Durant is a tough, hardnosed competitor, and whenever he’s out on the floor he’s going to give it 100 percent,” Larranaga said. “I think he’s going to have a sensational year. He’s really going to be our true leader. I’m excited about the improvement he’s made in his game.”

Miami finished 20-13 overall last season, falling to Minnesota in the second round of the NIT. The Hurricanes posted a school-record in ACC victories, including notable wins at home against FSU and on the road at Duke. Miami will play a formidable non-conference schedule, including a primetime contest against Michigan State at home in the ACC-Big 10 Challenge, and may play Arizona in the Diamond Head Classic in Hawaii during Christmas break.

It’s Johnson’s final year as a Cane, and he knows that time is running out for him to leave a mark on Miami basketball.

“The time is now,” he said. “This is my last year. There’s no more next year. I’m definitely looking forward to that challenge. Don’t overlook us. That’s all I’m going to say.”

AJ Ricketts

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...