Launch Pad initiative targets start-up companies

In 2008, The Launch Pad opened its doors at the University of Miami with the goal to facilitate students’ business endeavors. Four years later, the Pad has gone viral.

The Launch Pad has collaborated with public and private sectors, which include the Miami Downtown Development Authority (DDA) and Miami-Dade County, to create the Tech Accelerator. This initiative targets tech start-up companies in industries such as healthcare, hospitality, tourism and the creative arts sector.

Susan Amat, the co-founder and executive director of The Launch Pad, is looking forward to the opening of Miami’s accelerator in Downtown.

“There are hundreds of other [business]incubators, but ours is so different,” she said. “We are focused on community development, not starting a business to make money.”

The accelerator is open to any person with a start-up company. After the submission deadline, Nov. 5, applications will be reviewed and the best 10 companies will be accepted. If some of these companies are not local, the accelerator will move them to Miami.

The selected companies will receive three months of entrepreneurial extensive training, a year of free space, access to the accelerator’s resources and “world class” mentoring, Amat said.

And students will also benefit from the accelerator’s fellowships and internships.

Chelsea Cook, a freshman majoring in entrepreneurship, said the idea of The Launch Pad’s accelerator intrigues her.

“I think it will provide a lot more opportunities for students with entrepreneurial pursuits,” Cook said.

The accelerator was made possible with the financial support of the DDA and the Office of the Mayor, Carlos A. Gimenez. The DDA awarded two grants totaling $450,000, and the mayor’s office committed $1 million in grants.

Marc Sarnoff, a City of Miami commissioner and chairman of the DDA, was a main advocate for the development of the accelerator, Amat said.

“We are extremely well situated to build on the premise that we can be and are and should be a technology city,” he said in an article reported by The Miami Herald.

Amat echoes Sarnoff’s belief.

“The grant proves that Miami is open for business,” she said. “Miami will become a technology epicenter.”

Elizabeth De Armas

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...