The Killers return from hiatus with more personal album

After a summer packed with candy-pop tunes like “Call Me Maybe” and “Part of Me,” this autumn marks the return of the The Killers, after a four-year hiatus, with the release of the band’s fourth album, “Battle Born.”

Released on Sept. 18, “Battle Born” marks a new era for The Killers, straying away from the last album, “Day & Age.” The band fortunately returns with a vengeance to give their fans a “Hot Fuss” edge mixed with the synth sounds of “Day & Age.”

If you are still wondering whether their last single “Human” was “dancer” or “denser,” the lyrics in “Battle Born” are less confusing but as rich and more profound. They touch on personal issues about loss, coping, and the struggle to find a purpose.

The album’s openers “Flesh and Bones” and “Runaways” set the tone for the other songs. They remind listeners of the better days when ‘80s rock was considered a reputable genre that combined guitar solos with a pop beat. Both feature a backdrop of piano chords weaving lead singer Brandon Flowers’ haunting voice into a truly escapist experience.

“Runaways” is the album’s must-hear single and was released this summer. It combines the best of the old and new Killers with an explosive chorus that keeps the narrative verses together.

The album then continues with less catchy songs and more mellow tracks such as “Heart of a Girl,” “Be Still” and “Here with Me.” They lack the bravado of the singles but contain the best messages in any Killers album.

Overall, “Battle Born” should be listened to as The Killers’ mature effort with a novel sound that is sure to please devoted fans, newcomers and the past generation that miss Bon Jovi, Journey and, dare I say, Springsteen. Just a thought?

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...