Green Day releases part one of three-part album

Oh Green Day, how we’ve missed you.

In their 11th studio album “¡Uno!,” part one of a three-part album (“¡Dos!” and “¡Tre!” will be released in November and January). the gang proves that sometimes less is more. For those of you who grew tired of the ideological bombardment of 2004’s “American Idiot” and 2009’s “21st Century Breakdown,” fear not. Billy Joe Armstrong and the rest of the guys still know how to flat-out rock without the political agenda. And the results are incredible.

The album feels a lot like 1994’s smash hit “Dookie” with the clean, driving guitar riffs and the type of don’t-give-a-s*** attitude that embodied the band for most of its career. They’re back to complaining about girls and partying.

The first song, “Nuclear Family,” opens at a dizzying pace, with a strong ‘60s vibe and sets the tone for the rest of the album. Don’t look for songs like “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” or “Wake Me Up When September Ends;” you won’t find them on this album. Not to sound too cliche, but good riddance.

If you can’t listen to this album and rock out for the whole 12 songs then you don’t have a heartbeat. The album’s fourth song, “Let Yourself Go,” best summarizes the whole album with a hard, repetitive guitar riff, a frantic drum line, and Billy Joe yelling, “Shut your mouth cause you talk too much/And I don’t give a f*** anyway.”

It’s not edgy and it’s not gonna change the world. But it isn’t trying to and that’s what is so refreshing about this album. It’s old-fashioned catchy fun with Green Day. Yes, it would be a definite stretch to call it punk. It’s not going to piss anybody off, and the whole “we-don’t-care-about-what-you-say” stopped turning heads after the ‘90s, but who cares? It’s Green Day back to their old ways again. And boy, is it fun.

Robert Pursell

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...